Blacklight Fright!

jessica smith

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So I thought the house was immaculate, and we even have three fancy robot vacuums that vacuum different sections of the house daily... until I just tried out our new ultra powerful blacklight.

Well, over the years all those little hairballs or occasional food barfs that I thought I cleaned up right away thoroughly and look fine to the naked eye? Yeah, not so much under a blacklight. The cats only live upstairs, and while downstairs was perfect upstairs carpet there are little glowy circles practically every other foot.

Before I get a professional carpet cleaning company out, I was wondering how you all deal with it? Preferred spot cleaners? They never pee outside the litterbox, so I think its all barf related spots. :barfgreen:

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My cousin got me using Shout Triple-Acting spray with cheesecloth. She has these cream carpets and she had a warranty with the carpet cleaning company that has them come out to treat stains. One of her kids got sick and she said the guy came with Shout and cheesecloth. :dunno: For urine type stains I have an enzyme cleaner from Rocco & Roxie I believe the name is. I got it on Amazon a while back.

We got rid of our carpets this summer because I just gave up on it. But the Shout was the best I had found. Woolite used to make a good one but they stopped carrying it here. I personally wouldn’t worry much over things you can only see with a blacklight though. I used one on our carpet because I had a senior cat on a diuretic who had occasional accidents. Kids and cat throw up caused more of our visible stains. Foot traffic too since the back door opened over carpet in a dining area. I just figured no one was eating off the carpet and no visitors were likely to bring a blacklight.:lol:

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Having a pet is like having a perpetual toddler. Messes come with the territory. I always just say if I can't see or smell anything its clean enough.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Hydrox was our pee-er and he made a mess of our carpets. When Amber got older, she also started peeing everywhere. Bob loaned us his blacklight and I was appalled. This year, we finally ripped out the carpet and replaced with wooden flooring.

My mother prided herself on her very clean house. And did not like that both my sister and I don't keep house the way she did.

As for clean floors, I have always said, "No, you can't eat off my floors. But why would you want to?"