Black walnut flavor

CarmiesMom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So today my sister was coming over and she always complains my house smells of cat well not really suprising as I have several and I don't complain about her cigarettes but anyway I wasn't in the mood hear it today, so I decided to take a saucepan fill it with water and add a couple of splashes of black walnut flavoring and put on the stove to simmer. well when she left 45 min later I turned it off and was waiting on the pan to cool so I can take it to the sink without spilling. the way my kitchen set up it's kind of awkward and I didn't want to risk tripping on;any of my kitties and hurting them so I decided to let it cool a few.

well few minutes later I went back in the kitchen and I found my kristoff 8 months old to seven and a half pounds on the stove with the pan. now he had no sign of the walnut extract being on his white parts but he did smells faintly of it so I washed his face and gave him a tray of food. does anyone else know if this would hurt him he wouldn't have gotten more than just you know one licking. if he had gotten any and it's flavoring not extract. it has natural and artificial flavors caramel color vanilla extract in it and a whole bunch of stuff it's a 1 oz bottle and the pan had before 2 quarts of water and about less than a quarter of a bottle in it just a couple splashes do you think this will hurt my Kristoff? Note he was on the stove maybe 15-20 seconds before I saw him and got him down.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi, just keep an eye on him, and if you see him vomiting, acting differently like hiding, etc, you will want to contact your vet.

Something you might consider is cleaning the boxes more frequently (at least daily), or installing an air cleaner nearby to the boxes. Are you certain everyone is using the boxes appropriately and not marking or peeing elsewhere?

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Since black walnut is highly toxic to dogs cats and horses, I would call your vet just to be safe

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

CarmiesMom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi, just keep an eye on him, and if you see him vomiting, acting differently like hiding, etc, you will want to contact your vet.

Something you might consider is cleaning the boxes more frequently (at least daily), or installing an air cleaner nearby to the boxes. Are you certain everyone is using the boxes appropriately and not marking or peeing elsewhere?
I do clean daily but she's one of those who believes cats shouldn't be inside and swears she can smell cat poop even if I have just changed the boxes to fresh litter.