Black Spot on Gum

BlessedCharmant

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This just started catching my eye. I never noticed it until today. It literally seemed to pop up today? After Googling it seems to be Lentigo… Do you all agree? If so, is lentigo dangerous or harmful? The spot is near my finger on her lower gum.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Some cats do develop black pigmented spots on their gums and lips, even nose. This is especially true for orange cats. It's normal :) The spot may grow bigger or more spots will develop. You can email the picture to the vet for reassurance if you want.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Some cats do develop black pigmented spots on their gums and lips, even nose. This is especially true for orange cats. It's normal :) The spot may grow bigger or more spots will develop. You can email the picture to the vet for reassurance if you want.
This is true, Indy has a little black dot right on her Jacobson's organ. She also has a black freckle on her nose. She is blue though not orange.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

BlessedCharmant

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Is she a kitten? It looks like her teeth are just comming in other than that I can't see anything out of the ordinary.
she is 3 months old. I was curious if she is teething. I felt maybe that’s why she’s biting so much. Lol How can you tell her teeth are coming in? I can’t even tell that. 😂

BlessedCharmant

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
But they aren’t dangerous? They are just pigments? Yay! ❤

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
But they aren’t dangerous? They are just pigments? Yay! ❤
In a cat that young it probably is like how people get freckles. Indy has a spot on her Jacobson's organ on the roof of her mouth and a small freckle on her nose. Vet said they were like freckles in humans.

An older senior cat who develops these spots though needs them checked, it could be a type of skin cancer.

I can see the bumps between her bottom canines, incisors waiting to erupt. That's how I can tell she's fairly young. If she's teething get her some good toys to chew on. My old cat destroyed the spine of an old book when she was teething. Totally pissed my mom off.

BlessedCharmant

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
In a cat that young it probably is like how people get freckles. Indy has a spot on her Jacobson's organ on the roof of her mouth and a small freckle on her nose. Vet said they were like freckles in humans.

An older senior cat who develops these spots though needs them checked, it could be a type of skin cancer.

I can see the bumps between her bottom canines, incisors waiting to erupt. That's how I can tell she's fairly young. If she's teething get her some good toys to chew on. My old cat destroyed the spine of an old book when she was teething. Totally pissed my mom off.
LOL!!! I found a ball thing she loves to chew on. I’m glad too because my arms and legs look like a cat tree from all the marks. Lol

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Couldn't really see from the pic, but I wanted to weigh in on this too. Probably is a freckle, especially if an orange cat. They get them on the nose, lips, eyes. Sometimes on the ears too. Anywhere that's exposed to light.

BlessedCharmant

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My dad said he thought he saw her chewing on a sticker, like a pokey sticker from the outside yard. If one of those little burrs broke off into her gum, would it naturally work its way out? Or would that require a vet?

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Does the dark spot bother your cat at all? Can your cat eat normally? If it was a burr or something stuck in the gum, it would be painful and the cat would not be eating and may just drool. In that case a trip to the vet would be needed.

Honestly, it's just a dark pigmented freckle which is totally harmless :) You can email the picture to your vet for reassurance.