Black Specs On Lower Lip/chin, Plus Lethargy And Dry Heaving?

thricenine

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
IMG_2649.jpg

Hi guys,

so last week, I noticed a few black specs around Dinah's mouth, which looked sort of like flea dirt but were mostly-hidden in any pictures I tried to take. She's been sort of grumpy over the past week as well, but I attributed it to getting used to the kitten - he's been wearing her out lately and I have been separating him from her at night so she can get some peace, which seems to be working? Anyway, the black specks went away, and she seemed more like her usual self, but last night when I came home they were back.

She also hasn't meowed or trilled at all, only growls quietly when I come near her, and seems very lethargic? Has zero patience with the kitten and has been hissing at him when he bothers her, which is unlike her. I thought that part of it might be due to a hairball or something since it's spring now and she should be shedding a bit. She does a lot of licking her lips and convulsing in what looks like the cat version of a dry heave. A couple of days ago I found a vomited up hairball, maybe she has another one?

I'm going to the vet today anyway because the kitten needs booster shots so I'm going to ask about it and bring her pictures/video but I was wondering whether you guys thought it looked like feline acne and this is just a whole bunch of different things combined into one really bad day - or should I take her to the ER?

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
What did you find out? From the picture, it just looks like she's got a dirty chin :wink:. But the vomiting and lethargy are a concern. Could be from the new kitten and be caused from stress, but I'd get her checked just to be sure.

rubear

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Although it kind of does just look like a dirty chin, a couple possibilities for the black specks are acne or allergy. Chin acne is sometimes caused by bacteria that lives on plastic food bowls, so if you're not using glass, ceramic or stainless steel you might consider switching. This worked for my cat when she was very young. I think food allergies can also sometimes cause this and they can also cause heaving/vomiting. If she eats primarily chicken based food and you suspect allergy, you can always try a limited ingredient chicken-free food and see if symptoms improve. But if she seems to be going downhill, please don't wait to take her to the vet.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My cat gets this when she's stressed. We wash their bowls daily, so I know it's not chin acne caused from a dirty dish. By process of elimination, we determined it was stress. The stress from the new kitty could be causing these bumps as well as she might've developed an upper respiratory infection causing the lethargy. She needs to get to the vet for a check up and to determine of she needs meds.