Black specks that aren't Flea Dirt

cuthawolf

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey all, brand new poster :p

For a while my older cat, Winter, has been very sensitive near the base of the her tail. If scratched there she licks the air or the nearest surface, so I try hard not to even touch her there unless I'm brushing her.

In that specific area I've noticed little black flecks dotting her coat, so I suspected fleas. I Advantaged her, checked her all over (she's white so easy to spot) and found nothing. I did the wet paper towel test and the black flecks stay black, even if I scratch them apart with my fingernail. Now flea dirt is supposed to turn reddish in water from the cats blood right?

I've also noticed when grooming that area that occasionally white hairs will come out that have the same black specks where I would expect the root to be.

So in summary I have no idea what to do. I'm reluctant to bathe her because she just -hates- it, and my vet has assured me that as they get older some cats do get sensitive in that spot. But what are the black spots? Are they just dead skin? Maybe she has dry skin that's itchy and flaking there and that's why it's sensitive? Any assistance would be very much appreciated.

James

vball91

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It sounds like stud tail to me. I don't have any experience with it, but I believe it's easily treatable.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yep, sounds like it might be stud tail to me too.  Even though it's called that, it's not reserved for unneutered males only

Is that area on her tail greasy as well?  Stud tail is kind of like black heads on people.  Some folks even use Stridex to clear it up, although I don't really know if that works or not, and I can't seem to find a thread here to really discusses a "fix" for it.  I did find this while googling...written by a groomer ..may be easier said than done if you have never given your cat a bath

"The thing that works best for me is; while the cat is dry, take a small amount of your favorite (Cat safe) degreaser, (Ive had the best results with EZ groom) and make a paste with sugar,and lightly rub in circles, let sit for a few, and proceed with bath. It really helps clean the pores out too and you'll notice a big difference right away."

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cuthawolf

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks very much for your help guys, I really appreciate it. She hates the bath, but I'm already seeing an improvement in her sensitivity and the luster of her fur there, so I think she'll have to bear with it for a little longer.

Thanks so much.