Black specks in Hill's Prescription Diet i/d Digestive Care chicken & vegetable stew 2.9-ounce cans

helene

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've been feeding this wet food to my cats for several years (prescribed by my veterinarian), and it's always been fine. But in the last couple of months, when I open up the cans at feeding time, quite a few of them have had small black specks on top of the food (one of the specks was not so little). I always throw that food away and open up a fresh can. Can these black spots be mold, or mouse or rat droppings, or anything else? Has anyone had this experience with either this brand of wet food or any other brand? I'd appreciate any observations/advice/ etc. Thanks very much.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi,
I have not fed this food, have you taken photos of the contents of the cans with the specks vs. the cans without? If this difference is consistent in cans from the same lot number, your vet might ask you to contact Hill's or they may contact Hill's themselves to check. Make sure you show them photos, if any, and keep track of the lot numbers if possible.
With canned food, I would suspect a leak in the seal leading to mold over droppings. Does the food have an unpleasant odor? Have you noticed if there has been a slight formula change?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

helene

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
All good advice - I wrote to Chewy but didn't send photos or lot numbers. I'll let my vet. know, as well.
Thanks!