Black Smoke? Medium Haired Or Long?

Moka

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Salem is about 5 months old. I adopted her when she was only 4 1/2 weeks old after her mom (who really was a baby herself) abandoned her and her siblings at 3 weeks old. Salem was a solid black ball of fluff when I took her home. But, over the course of a month I started to notice patches of silver gray hair. First, under her elbows and then on her belly. Now her entire body is covered in silver in varying concentrations under her shiny black top coat. The underside of her tail and her butt is straight silver without the black tipped top coat. I have been calling her flour butt because it looks like she sat in something! Salem also has faint tabby markings that can only be seen in natural light. The markings were quite vivid under any light until about a month ago. Now, just the "M" on her forehead and the stripes on her back legs are left. She also has this silver tint to her face. It kind of reminds me of a melanistic (silver) red fox. I am REALLY curious about the silver tint. Has anyone here seen this before? Is it just part of the smoke pattern or something else? I have been calling her a black smoke tabby. Is that right? Is she even smoke? From what I have read about smoke cats, it seems to be a dominant trait. Her brother is a ginger and her two almost identical sisters are brown tabbies. Salem's mom is a medium to long haired tortoiseshell and the two most likely suspects for the dad are a solid black and a black tuxedo cat. Salem's grandmother is a calico. If smoke is dominate, why is there no apparent family history?
Also, I had to declare her breed for her microchip and they would not take mixed or mutt. My choices were domestic short, medium and long haired. I guessed and labeled Salem long haired. But, I am now unsure. When she was a little younger, she had hair sticking up every which way. But it has since smoothed out. She has long tuffs between her toes and tassels on her ears. She is definitely not short, but is she medium?
Sorry for the bad photos. I was working with an ancient camera and a very squirmy kitten.

Thanks!

The light colored striping is her silver undercoat showing through and not her skin.
7-22-2018 (3).JPG
Silver Belly 7-21-2018.JPG
7-21-2018 (49).JPG Silver Tinted Face 7-21-2018.JPG Salem's  First Collar 8-7-2018 Pic 1 Original (2).JPG
9-9-2018 (5).JPG 9-9-2018 (21).JPG 10-15-2018 (2).JPG 10-22-2018 (16).JPG

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is her fur at the base of each hair gray, or white? Gray or brown undercoat is often seen in black cats, especially longhairs. A smoke or silver cat has a white section at the base of each hair, not gray.

Last edited:

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Also, I just noticed you said she is about 5 months old. At that age, it's very common to see ghost tabby markings on solid blue or black cats. She still hasn't developed her adult coat yet.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
She’s a beautiful cat! I think she looks to be solid black, but a closer up photo of her fur parted would be very helpful. I’m thinking that the fur showing through could be undercoat.

Shatteredair

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He reminds me so much of my boy Jasper. He's got grey like that and the way his fur was all wispy as a kitten is the same as mine too!

yesimacatlady

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat's coloring went through a very similar trajectory!! I don't have a picture of his back legs, but I call him "gray pants" because, well, from the back it looks like he's wearing gray pants. He's approaching a year now, and the gray/white markings have become more prominent. I'm curious to see what answers you get!! cat1 (2).jpg cat2.jpg cat4.jpg

Shatteredair

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

yesimacatlady

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Here's what he looked like when we adopted him . . . he was much, much darker. The last photo is one I just took - his hair is a LOT longer and the gray is more prominent . . . you might be looking at Salem's future! (Salem is absolutely adorable, by the way!) stk1 (2).jpg stk2 (2).jpg stk5.jpg stk6.jpg

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Moka

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Is her fur at the base of each hair gray, or white? Gray or brown undercoat is often seen in black cats, especially longhairs. A smoke or silver cat has a white section at the base of each hair, not gray.
She’s a beautiful cat! I think she looks to be solid black, but a closer up photo of her fur parted would be very helpful. I’m thinking that the fur showing through could be undercoat.
Salem's undercoat is not pure white, but I would not call it gray either. It is a dirty white, I guess. I have had black cats before who had a gray undercoat. Salem's is different in that there is a clear divide between the top black and the bottom gray.
10-26-2018 (1) 3.JPG

Moka

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
what did he look like as a kitten? hes so cute!
Salem was Solid black at 5 weeks with hair sticking up every which way. She looked like she licked an electrical outlet. lol
Salem 5 Weeks  6-18-2018  pic2 (2).JPG June 2018 (40).JPG
June 2018 (39).JPG

Moka

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Moka

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Also, I just noticed you said she is about 5 months old. At that age, it's very common to see ghost tabby markings on solid blue or black cats. She still hasn't developed her adult coat yet.
That makes sense about the tabby markings. Salem's have been fading as she has gotten older.

Moka

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
awe, so cute!!
that's just like what Jasper's fur looks like! I was kind of hoping he'd have a fluffy tail so this gives me hope
Do you know what Jasper's parents looked like? I got to meet Salem's mom which gave me a "sneak preview" of what Salem might look like. Salem's mom is a medium haired tortoiseshell with a HUGE feathery tail. I am kind of hoping Salem's tail eventually becomes so majestic as well.

Shatteredair

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Do you know what Jasper's parents looked like? I got to meet Salem's mom which gave me a "sneak preview" of what Salem might look like. Salem's mom is a medium haired tortoiseshell with a HUGE feathery tail. I am kind of hoping Salem's tail eventually becomes so majestic as well.
I got to meet his mom, she was a petit black shorthair cat. I have no idea about his father though

Moka

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So. . . from what I have gathered from here, Salem is probably not smoke. Which is fine because I would love and adore her even if she was purple. But, what would you call her color? Her belly, butt and the underside of her tail are gray. Also, is she medium or long haired?
Censored Flour Butt 7-21-2018 (2).png