Black pepper and litter box?

Krienze

Officially a cat lady now. No regrets.
Super Cat
Purraise
I have an issue with my dog (lab) constantly getting in the cat box. Nothing I have tried has worked. Tried hooded boxes, enclosures. Top entries. NOTHING will stop him from breaking in.
We are in the process of setting up a cat room, but until its sorted that's not an option either and it's taking longer due to injury.

We got another kitten back in March, Gracie. She's still learning to use the big cat boxes and feels safe in her pen, which has an open flap for for her to go in. She has a litter box in there that she likes to use, but I noticed my dog will now push his way all the way in the pen to get to that box too.

It's getting frustrating for me and the cats. He drags their litter ALL over the floor as a result, gets his breath AND the air smelly.

I tried putting a muzzle on him for brief periods after he did it, but he'll literally just SHOVE his muzzle in the cat poo and smear it everywhere.

I have 3 dogs, none but him act this way. He's stubborn and I don't understand what I'm doing wrong with him. Over the years, he's progressively gotten worse with counter surfing too. I've tried training methods, things never seem to stick even with consistent and repeated efforts.

Someone suggested I put black pepper in the cat box... but wouldn't that hurt the cat? I don't plan on trying that until I get some feedback here.

Hope this was put in the right spot - wasn't sure where to post this.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I don't think the black pepper is a good idea, but I have read some articles suggesting it. I still don't think I would personally try it - it could backfire and end up causing litter box issues with your cats.

Until you can set up your cat room, any chance you could get some larger pens to place the litter boxes in - so that the boxes could be set farther away from the entry point? I presume the dog can't get through the entry, but the pen is small enough for him to be able to reach it with his head/mouth? You could even affix cardboard to the side of the pens where the boxes sit, just so the dog can't get near that side of the pen.

This could also be a sign of boredom on your dog's part, particularly when you add in the fact that he is also trying to counter surf. It would seem from what I have read that some dogs are more inclined to try to eat cat poop when they are bored (a form of 'entertainment'). There are other dogs who do so due to a nutritional deficiency.

Maybe this article will give you some ideas/help?
Why Dogs Eat Cat Poop from the Litter Box and How to Stop It | Your Dog Advisor

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you scoop right after the cat uses the box and place it in an outdoor trash can? This might not work at night though or when nobody is home.

How about relocating the box to a room with a door like a washroom? Put a doorchain on it so it only opens wide enough to let the cat through.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
How about relocating the box to a room with a door like a washroom? Put a doorchain on it so it only opens wide enough to let the cat through.

This product works really well to crack a door open to let a cat through but not young kids or dogs: DOOR BUDDY Door Latch Plus Door Stopper, Grey - Chewy.com You can also use it for other similar purposes. I use it to keep my laundry closet door open a bit so I can leave the washer door open to dry but not let the cats into the closet.