Black Or Black Tabby?

2rescuekitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Here is my second kitty. Her name is Stella and I think she might be a black domestic short hair? not sure..she looks mocha colored in the sun and any light and also when the light hits her you can see stripes and spots. Here are a few pics of when she was little and now.

1.jpg 2.jpg 6.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg 7.jpg

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

2rescuekitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Black cats are the coolest. She is very pretty.
They are the best! And thank you I think she knows she's pretty LOL! When we go on our walks and people compliment her and ask to pet her she starts meowing in the most high pitched little voice and purring and making little noises as if to say "yes go on I know I'm beautiful":flail:

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
2rescuekitties 2rescuekitties Stella is gorgeous! I've read that all cats have stripes, but it's hard to see them on a lot of cats. :winkcat: There was a little black tabby guy in our lives several years back. His stripes were a little more pronounced than Stella's and he was extremely handsome. He was the one feral I couldn't catch -- I did catch him but he slipped the trap and from then until we moved, he was too smart to be having any of that. I pray he was well and that the feeders in the neighborhood were able to care for him.

2rescuekitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
2rescuekitties 2rescuekitties Stella is gorgeous! I've read that all cats have stripes, but it's hard to see them on a lot of cats. :winkcat: There was a little black tabby guy in our lives several years back. His stripes were a little more pronounced than Stella's and he was extremely handsome. He was the one feral I couldn't catch -- I did catch him but he slipped the trap and from then until we moved, he was too smart to be having any of that. I pray he was well and that the feeders in the neighborhood were able to care for him.
Oh interesting! So maybe as she got older they just disappeared more then because now I can only see the stripes when she's in the sun. But it sure is cool to see a cat go from all black to like mocha colored with stripes when she steps in the sun :hyper: And yes I heard with trapping you get one chance..because they are just so darn smart

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh interesting! So maybe as she got older they just disappeared more then because now I can only see the stripes when she's in the sun. But it sure is cool to see a cat go from all black to like mocha colored with stripes when she steps in the sun :hyper: And yes I heard with trapping you get one chance..because they are just so darn smart
Yeah, he was a very wary little guy. We got his siblings but he was the holdout. Very frustrating, because over the time we were there, we worked very hard gaining the trust of the semi-feral matriarch and adopting, vetting, and spay/neutering her and her progeny. I always want to think "no cat left behind" but we moved shortly after this attempt and so he remains "the one who got away".

There is also such a thing as "fever coat" which you might want to search to read about, and kittens born to Siamese moms who have had relationships with black males are often black, with a very reddish cast to their fur, especially in the sun. Growing up, a longhaired black Siamese was one of my beloved cats. He was gorgeous.

2rescuekitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yeah, he was a very wary little guy. We got his siblings but he was the holdout. Very frustrating, because over the time we were there, we worked very hard gaining the trust of the semi-feral matriarch and adopting, vetting, and spay/neutering her and her progeny. I always want to think "no cat left behind" but we moved shortly after this attempt and so he remains "the one who got away".

There is also such a thing as "fever coat" which you might want to search to read about, and kittens born to Siamese moms who have had relationships with black males are often black, with a very reddish cast to their fur, especially in the sun. Growing up, a longhaired black Siamese was one of my beloved cats. He was gorgeous.
I might need to do some reading on that then because especially her belly is such a nice red mocha color its just beautiful..And yes I know how that feels...Theres a feral I have been feeding outside my apartment complex and I am in the middle of trying to get him trapped so I can take him to the vet...its a frustrating situation

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I might need to do some reading on that then because especially her belly is such a nice red mocha color its just beautiful..And yes I know how that feels...Theres a feral I have been feeding outside my apartment complex and I am in the middle of trying to get him trapped so I can take him to the vet...its a frustrating situation
All the very best to you in your efforts on his behalf! and may he wander in very soon. :runningcat:

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's interesting. I've never seen that on a black cat before. Pretty cool. I have noticed on my girl Sammie, that I can see stripes on her tail, but looks like breaks in the fur, since they are rings. I only see it in the sun. You can kinda see it a little bit in this picture.
I did this on Valentines day last year, just for the picture. She looks like a little retro diva. LOL!!

2rescuekitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That's interesting. I've never seen that on a black cat before. Pretty cool. I have noticed on my girl Sammie, that I can see stripes on her tail, but looks like breaks in the fur, since they are rings. I only see it in the sun. You can kinda see it a little bit in this picture.
I did this on Valentines day last year, just for the picture. She looks like a little retro diva. LOL!!
Oh yes she gorgeous and oh those green eyes are to die for! :hearthrob::redheartpump::hearthrob::redheartpump::hearthrob:

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Her mom was big not over weight. She looked like a mini leopard she was anorexic. Maggie has high metabolism. Big, only 8 pds. Feeding her is hard! Not all black. Belly has some grey. Her 4 siblings and mom were all black
20170108_201352-COLLAGE.jpg

Last edited: