Black or black smoke?

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
I would guess your kitten is black, perhaps with a bit of a fever coat that's causing the lighter colour along the back, which should shed out as he ages, and warmer brown 'rusting' caused by the sun :>

If you split a section of fur, is it the same all the way through, or are the roots lighter in colour? If it's the former, your kitty is black solid, if it's the latter, smoke.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Lenka Aurelie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The roots is lighter, it’s white coloured on the roots
I would guess your kitten is black, perhaps with a bit of a fever coat that's causing the lighter colour along the back, which should shed out as he ages, and warmer brown 'rusting' caused by the sun :>

If you split a section of fur, is it the same all the way through, or are the roots lighter in colour? If it's the former, your kitty is black solid, if it's the latter, smoke.
It’s white colored on the roots, so maybe my kitten is black smoke ya, can’t wait to see her grow 😄😄

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All cats tend to have lighter hair roots. It's totally normal for black cats to have brownish or grayish hair roots, and this can be very obvious in kittens and young cats. The difference is that black smoke cats have white roots, not just lighter colored roots. Here's an example of black smoke coat.

B624E45B-9733-4B82-8B1F-291D0D7F59D9.jpeg

lucho

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Cute little thing!! How old is she?