Black Kitten with White Roots?

Mum of 3 fur babies

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I recently adopted 2 kittens from a rescue and they are currently about 12 weeks old. They were born feral but were rescued with their mum and fostered until they weaned. They are so adorable and thankfully my resident cat has bonded to them already after we lost her brother back in February

Their mum was tabby and there were 3 in the litter, 2 x tabby and 1 x black(ish). Gabby's coat looks like she had a really bad dye job which is now growing out with clearly defined roots!!!! I've not seen this before personally and wondered whether anyone has seen kittens with a similar coat? I'm just curious what she will look like when she loses her kitten hair.

I've tried to include photos in different lights to show her coat accurately, with one photo where I've parted her kitten fuzz to show the roots.

Thank you 😊
20210622_184838.jpg 20210622_185310.jpg 20210623_153728.jpg 20210623_153644.jpg 20210623_154327.jpg

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
Given the level of contrast, shes likely a black smoke, so one of her parents carried the silver gene, which is pretty uncommon for non-pedigree cats :) She’s a gorgeous girl! Given that she’s a longhair, she‘s bound to grow into a real looker! Do you know if any of her siblings are silver tabby?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mum of 3 fur babies

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Given the level of contrast, shes likely a black smoke, so one of her parents carried the silver gene, which is pretty uncommon for non-pedigree cats :) She’s a gorgeous girl! Given that she’s a longhair, she‘s bound to grow into a real looker! Do you know if any of her siblings are silver tabby?
Thanks for your reply.

Her brother Gilbert is in this picture with our resident cat, Gretel, and the other boy in the litter was very similar to Gilbert, so no silver.

I find all the different colours and markings of cats fascinating ☺

Attachments