"Black" kitten or dark tabby?

taylorel

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello all! I recently posted a thread last night about this but upon rereading it I noticed that it was just all over the place and wordy, probably making it difficult to understand my question at all! The short story is, a pregnant stray tabby adopted us and we had no idea who the father was, but she has given birth to one "calico" like kitten (orange gray and white), two gray/brown tabbies who look identical to her, and then the ones that are stumping me on how to describe them - 3 little black babies, who are jet black in certain lighting (and when they were born) and dark chocolate brown/black in brighter light. They have faint stripes around their neck area, and white striping on the face, but they are otherwise black with a deep brown undercoat. I was wondering how exactly to describe or classify them. I have heard of ghost stripes and I'm wondering if they will grow up and be solid black and lose the faint stripes, or if maybe they were just born very dark and will lighten up to become more gray/brown and tabby-like just like their sisters/brothers. Here are some pictures, what do you think?

jmljml19

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
They could go either way. They could be dark tabbies or just turn black with stripes that are only visible in certain light. My kitten below went from a darker face and light stripes to a silvery grey as she grew up.

My kitten in the top one in the litter. The 2nd pic is you can see her stripes at 3 months old. The 3rd pic is her at 1yr with no stripes.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I agree. it could go either way. Either way that is going to a be a gorgeous cat. What an adorable kitten!  Two posts full of kitten cuteness!!  

WaddleL

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We have a few kittens with the same dark colors and patterns as your baby. I noticed this post is now several years old. What did your kitten end up looking like as an adult? I can’t seem to find any information on this particular color / pattern.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Hello all! I recently posted a thread last night about this but upon rereading it I noticed that it was just all over the place and wordy, probably making it difficult to understand my question at all! The short story is, a pregnant stray tabby adopted us and we had no idea who the father was, but she has given birth to one "calico" like kitten (orange gray and white), two gray/brown tabbies who look identical to her, and then the ones that are stumping me on how to describe them - 3 little black babies, who are jet black in certain lighting (and when they were born) and dark chocolate brown/black in brighter light. They have faint stripes around their neck area, and white striping on the face, but they are otherwise black with a deep brown undercoat. I was wondering how exactly to describe or classify them. I have heard of ghost stripes and I'm wondering if they will grow up and be solid black and lose the faint stripes, or if maybe they were just born very dark and will lighten up to become more gray/brown and tabby-like just like their sisters/brothers. Here are some pictures, what do you think?
Old thread, but the question is interesting.... As the other commentators says, its sometimes difficult to see on a kitten, and clears up when older.

Pics not very good, but the third whom looks blackish, has whitish around mouth and around eyes... And these are secundary characteristica of a tabby. So blackie in 3 is almost surely a tabby, perhaps an unusual dark ticked tabby??

The second one seems to be a tabby, even if it could be very strong ghost stripes... But I bet on tabby, especielly as tabby IS running in the batch from momma.

The first, I cant really know because I dont see his face.... Is he a twin of number three, or is he all black?
Anyway, my guess is, he is solid black.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They could have a fever coat which means the mama was sick while pregnant, their true color will come out in the months to come. I think they may lighten up in the months to come. ALL cats have the tabby (stripes) gene. Even the solid-colored ones, you will still pick up 'ghost' stripes in bright sunlight.