Black Inside Of Ears

kittymom527

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a new foster cat and her 6 kittens in my house. I noticed her ears are totally black and gunky. I did some research and think its mites. I made a mixture of apple cider vinegar and coconut oil and put it in with a syringe. She went crazy scratching and shaking her head. I rubbed her ears and lots of stuff came out. Now I feel bad because she looks miserable. Suggestions?

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think my suggestions would be to take the mom and her kittens to your vet asap. The vet can culture momma cat's ears to see what's fully going on; the same if any of the kittens are showing signs of mites. If it's only mites, remember that those are very contagious. Plus, if they really gain a foothold in the cats' ears for an extended length of time, they can also cause infections, both fungal and bacterial.
:goodluck: :hangin:

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The easiest thing is a vet visit. they can give her meds that will take care of the ear mites, and clean them well at the same time. Unfortunately with mites they can also inhabit the hair and skin around the ears, so a topical will most likely be needed. but if she is nursing kittens i dont know what is safe for them, i would want the vet to say.

Sometimes there will also be a yeast or fungal infection as well, so the vet should check for that as well.

Gizmobius

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It could also be the leftovers from mites that are no longer alive and it's just debris and gunk you have to clean out with an ear solution but you won't know that until a vet can test to make sure that's the case.

lavishsqualor

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Definitely take her and her kittens to the vet. If she has them then the kittens probably do too, and they're truly miserable for cats of any age. It sounds like the ear mites might have also caused a fungal infection. Poor girl. By the way, you're awesome to be such a great foster!

lavishsqualor

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I made a mixture of apple cider vinegar and coconut oil and put it in with a syringe. She went crazy scratching and shaking her head.
Her ears are most likely very irritated and raw from the mites biting them over and over. The apple cider vinegar probably burned and hurt, hence the head shaking. Getting rid of the gunk in her ears is a good thing, but I'd wait and let the vet do it. He or she can accomplish this task with the least amount of discomfort possible. Good luck to your foster and her kittens!

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, I'd take her to the vet. When Demi had ear mites, I wasted so much time trying natural things and none of them worked. The vet will have something to get rid of them really fast.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittymom527

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have asked the rescue, they wanted to wait until the kittens are old enough to be separated for a period of time. I disagreed and said that we need to do something sooner. I am going to do what I can at home until we go to the vet.

I also have some leftover medicine from when my dog had something in her ears. I looked it up online and is often used for mites. I wonder if I should try that?

kittymom527

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This is the best picture I can get. Shes such a good little girl.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have asked the rescue, they wanted to wait until the kittens are old enough to be separated for a period of time. I disagreed and said that we need to do something sooner. I am going to do what I can at home until we go to the vet.

I also have some leftover medicine from when my dog had something in her ears. I looked it up online and is often used for mites. I wonder if I should try that?
I understand the rescue's perspective. Maybe you could call your vet and tell them the situation (she can't leave the babies yet, etc.) and maybe they'd have some suggestions to tide her over until the babies are old enough to be away from her for awhile. They may just want you to wipe them out as best you can once or twice a day or so!

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It sure looks like mites. I would be careful with anything that says for a dog on it. Have you put a monthly flea topical on her yet? Frontline Plus on the back of the neck killed Demi's ear mites even though it doesn't say so on the package. I know a lot of people use Revolution, but you have to get that at the vet.

kittymom527

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I havent done anything yet except clean it out with coconut oil and vinegar. I have only had the cat and kittens for 2 days. Ive been busy making sure the kittens are ok and the mom is comfortable. I will call my vet tomorrow.

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I wouldn't ever use any kind of dog medicine for a cat without being told by the vet. Would it be an option to put the kittens in a basket or carrier with the mama cat and take her on to the vet?

lavishsqualor

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No, I wouldn't use the ointment. But I would absolutely beast at my vet to take some sort of action regarding her ears. Mites and fungal infection are so uncomfortable!

Monk'sMom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Vet visit and cleaning, (mom and babies both) and treatment with Revolution. That would be what I would do. It very much looks like ear mites, and this not only drives the cat bunkers, but can cause aural hematoma (eventually a cauliflower ear) and spots of hairlessness on other parts of the face. I speak from experience, sadly.
We are nor mite-free, and keep up with Revolution monthly.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Please don't use medications formulated for other species without veterinary instruction - the strength of them may be different than what is needed, also cats are far more susceptible to certain toxiticies than dogs. You should never assume that if something is ok for dogs it will be ok for cats, cats have a much smaller and less efficient liver.

kittymom527

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I cleaned her ears with coconut oil for a few days and got some ear drops from the rescue. She is much happier now. The poor girl was miserable. Her ears look so much better.