Black 'dirt' Under Chin

kat hamlin

"RESCUE" is my favorite breed
Adult Cat
Purraise
One of my foster families today inquired about black 'dirt' under the chins of all their cats, both fostered and owned. They are not eating out of plastic bowls and are all on Revolution monthly.
Nobody seems itchy, there is no hair loss, and only minor irritation to the skin which I suspect is mostly due to foster mom trying to clean up the area more than intrinsic to the condition.
Is anyone familiar with this condition and can offer advice?

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's likely feline acne. It can be caused by things other than plastic bowls. One of my cat had feline acne because of a particular brand of food:rolleyes: You can comb the chin with a fine toothed combed to remove the black specks. Some people like to give the chin a wipe with a Stridex acne pad or a cotton ball soaked in witch hazel.

cheesycats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have an issue with this as well however I doubt it’s feline acne with my cats. My cats seemed to have caught all fromeach other. My youngest had it when I adopted him (all the cats he was kennels with had it as well) and prior to that none of my other cats had an issue. Then they all got it and even though I have since had to rehome the two younger cats my two older cats still have it. I wash bowls, buy new ones, no plastic, they’re deflead, etc and they still have it. I brush it off with a flea comb from time to time but it already comes back. I don’t really understand what it could be.

Brian007

Furmate and Famulus
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with the others that it is most likely cat chin acne. Just gently wash the area with a veterinary antibacterial solution and switch bowls to ceramic, glass, or metal. Read up on it as it's ever so easy to control once you do...

cheesycats cheesycats it's caused by bacteria (bringing about rapid sebum production) so simply brushing it off might not be sufficient in a multicat household. I recommend wiping it off with something antibacterial as the flea comb might actually be moving the bacteria around and making matters worse. Make sure you decontaminate the flea comb as it will carry bacteria from one chin to another. I reckon that once you get on top of it, you shouldn't be bothered by it again as you're doing the right things apart from the combing. What type of new bowls have you got? Just make sure there are no wee cracks, chips, or scratches on the surface that allow micropores to form where the bacteria can move in and thrive.

:catrub:

cheesycats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
They have about a dozen different bowls I rotate around at this point. All glass or ceramic. Where can I get this antibacterial solution? I work in a petstore and have never heard of something that could be used on the chin and safe in case they lick it off somehow. Would the vet have it or maybe a different petstore?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kat hamlin

"RESCUE" is my favorite breed
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks, I was not aware feline acne presented this way. We'll see if these recommendations clear it up.