Black Cats Only

purplepeapod

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

Hi,! We just joined yesterday.

This is Porter, a cat we adopted from SPCA on January 28th, when he weighed just over 4 lbs (a week later, he weight in at 5.25lbs) He was born on September 21, 2016. I'm guessing, despite his interesting curly grey belly hairs (my profile pics shows it best), that he can safely be called a Domestic Medium-Hair... he was much hairier (well, wispier) when we first adopted him. His fur has since turned a deeper black, and many of the random wiry white hairs along his back and tail have gone away, and he is more shiny than fluffy now. Maybe it's him growing naturally into a different fur? Or maybe better food (taking our Vet's advice, we have been feeding him a can of Fancy Feast a day along with as much Wellness Core grain-free dry kitten food as he wants). He now weighs 7lbs. He's a pretty adorable little guy, and he and our dog Waldo nap together all the time. We've caught Waldo trying to play ball with him a few times, and it's really sweet! Porter is like a shape-shifter, though... the photos in my gallery are in chronological order, and yet he alternately looks enormous and tiny, sometimes he feels lile a chubby kitten, then later that day, he is a bag of bones. We're curious to see how big he gets and if his grey fur means he grows a cute grey ruff when he's older.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Hi @purplepeapod and welcome to TCS!

What wonderful photos and what a gorgeous boy (both of them
)  I love it when dogs and cats are great friends.

You might like to introduce yourself and Porter over in our New Cats on the Block forum as well.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Welcome to TCS @purplepeapod

I think a good diet plays a huge part in keeping a cat's coat looking healthy. He's probably going to get much silkier as his new coat grows in. Long haired cats usually reach full fluffiness at around one year old. My long hared girls didn't get their ruffs until their second winter.

Keep us posted on how he grows.

purplepeapod

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for the encouraging welcomes! I was waiting until I had a good photo to share before posting again, but alas, Porter is a little dervish who only keeps still when he is asleep. This morning, he was up the top of his cat tree when I stirred awake. I heard him meow, and then he launched himself, limbs and claws out, more than six feet to the bed and ran to me and my sleeping husband. I must have flinched just as he landed on my smiling but shocked face because he pulled his head back and made reassuring baby pats on my cheeks, totally claw-free... ah, the excitement of an unpredictable kitten. Lol! Here he is with his heart-melting little ear tuft. And another pic just before he goosed Waldo his dog "brother." :)

Happy Weekend!

jennifurr

To err is human, to purr is feline
Young Cat
Purraise
Last edited: