Bitter Yuck

SaraBeth88

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Is bitter yuck safe for cats? I keep hearing people use it for wires and such, but I spread it on a couple wires and now I'm freaking out because I am reading all of these horror stories online about it possibly being toxic to cats? Help!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
This is going to sound very simplistic, but here it is. Bitter Yuck is sold on Chewy and advertised as safe for cats. I, personally, have found Chewy to be very reliable and careful in the products that they sell.

Here's the thing. Bitter Yuck contains rosemary oil, which is toxic to cats, but not to the extent that one or two "tastes" would do harm. And it tastes so nasty to them that they don't go back for seconds. If you catch your cat actually LICKING THE STUFF, wash it off and watch for changes in behavior, but I can almost guarantee that won't happen!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

SaraBeth88

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Is that what's in the bittering agent? I can't find a broken down list of that anywhere online

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Yep. And, disgustingly, now I can't find the source I used. Took me about half an hour to track it down in the first place. I should have bookmarked it!

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I can't find a list of ingredients. I did use it when one of my cats was young. He started the wire chewing thing, specifically on the wires from my old desktop computer. He got one taste of it and that was the end of the wire chewing.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
NICE JOB! And that percentage of rosemary oil is not going to be an issue unless your cat actually drinks the stuff. And s/he won't.