“Bitter” resident cat

TashaLyn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! Remember me? My resident cat was hissing at me after rescuing new kitten. Well it’s been 2 weeks and resident cat doesn’t hiss at me much anymore. But we finally cleared the fleas and are able to introduce residents to kitten. This am was our first go. Kitten (Jade) was first greeted by resident Sasha. She’s only 11 months old. Then she was greeted by resident Maxi. Maxi is a litter sister to bitter grumpy gills Raven. Maxi was fine with her. No hissing. No nasty behavior. Raven is still hissing. But she’s not hissing at me anymore. And she’s also not hissing at her sisters anymore.
We can’t keep Jade out for long periods of time because she has a bad case of tapeworm. She can’t use the residents litter pans. But we are making great progress. I can’t wait until we can be one happy family.
Jade is being super skiddish so I’m hoping it’s because of the changes and the new sisters and everything else.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
That's great that your resident cat isn't hissing at you much anymore. And that you're working on the flea situation. Hopefully everything will be cleared up soon, and the introductions can continue.

I think I posted the link to How To Introduce A Kitten To An Older Cat – Cat Articles before, but since Jade is 11 months old, and nearly an adult cat, I'll post other introduction articles links as well.

How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide | TheCatSite
Introducing Cats To Cats | TheCatSite

Good luck. Jade's spayed, right?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Oops! Typing while rubysmama rubysmama was posting - so basically, redundancy... Are you using any particular introduction process - such as TCS' article? (see link below). It hasn't been long, so Jade is still getting used to her surroundings, and Raven is just more reluctant than the others to 'accept' a new family member - adding to Jade's skittishness. If you choose to use steps in the attached article, just remember you can only go as fast (advance from one step to the next) as the slowest-adapting cat will accept - that being Raven!!!
How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide – Cat Articles

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

TashaLyn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Jade is 13 weeks, Sasha is 11 months old. Sorry for that confusion. Jade came to us with fleas. But they’re cleared up now. We’ve done the blankets and there’s a baby gate leading into the room where jade is staying. She’s able to sniff out the residents and so forth. We also have her cat carrier in the main living space. Grumpy gills won’t go near it but I think that’s why Sasha and Maxi have taken better to her. Litter pans aren’t an option right now because of jade having an extreme case of tape worms. These were all things we did when we brought Sasha home. Raven was still angry and resentful to her for a few weeks but never to me. This time, raven showed a lot of anger towards me which was saddening. Raven won’t even walk by hades door without growling and hissing.
But we don’t yell at her. We know it’s an adjustment and she hasn’t hurt or gone after Jade. So we let her hiss and jade actually doesn’t seem bothered by Raven. I had maxi, Sasha and Jade chasing the laser together and then they laid down together. It was rather sweet!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

TashaLyn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Also, yes! Jade is spayed. We got her spayed before we even brought her home.