Biting

Running Matches

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a 6 month old cat and I don’t know if this happens to every cat owner but my cat bites and scratches a lot. I don’t know if she does it cause she’s irrated or something but it really hurts. I’m usually just not doing anything and out of now where she’ll come and jump on me. She’ll dig her claws and bite me hard and I have so many cuts all over my legs and hands. Also while she’s digging into me I can’t help but push her away and I don’t know if that makes her angrier because she runs back and does the same thing and my only option is to leave the room. I’ve also started to notice that when my family and I try to pet her she bites us. I just want her to stop or at least minimize the pounces because I know it’s a normal behavior for cats but it’s to much

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Running Matches Running Matches - How often / how long do you play with her daily? Kittens of this age have an incredible amount of energy, and if not given the chance to release it through play-time, they'll do everything in their power to get you to play with them.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Some cats are just biters. Sometimes it's because they were taken from their mom/siblings too soon, and they didn't learn how to "play nice".

One suggestion I've read, is to say "owwwwww" in a high pitched tone when the cat bites or scratches. That's how kittens let their siblings know their play got too rough.

Here's a couple TCS articles that may be helpful:
Cat Aggression Toward People
How To Stop Playtime Aggression In Cats
How To Deal With Cat "love Bites"?

Here's a link with more info: Teach Your Kitten How to Play Nice : The Humane Society of the United States

Also, please be aware that cat bites or scratches that break the skin can become infected.
Cat Bites - What Every Cat Owner Needs To Know
Ouch! More Than You Ever Wanted To Know About Cat Bites

Benjamin Franklin (Benji)

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Benji used to be huge on biting, turned out he was just crazy aftive and a lot more playing did the job! Usually he prefers to play on his own but once the biting started I played with him more and it stopped.

aliceneko

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Toffee is the same age as your kitten (though nearly 7 months) and is a big biter - and now that he's just grown adult teeth, his bites hurt more than when we first got him. I just take my hand away firmly as that gives him an indication not to bite, and then say a firm "no" (I don't shout at him, just speak to him very firmly) and give him a little baff on the nose with my finger. I've also tried shouting "ouch!" loudly and that's quite successful with Toffee, as he gets shocked by my loud voice and backs away.

Chizzy90

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Is she playing when she does this or angry?

My 5 month old likes to bite too but it's only when he's playing or wants my attention. I know they say don't play fight with your cat but it's so hard! He has so much fun.

Sam71690

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a 6 month old cat and I don’t know if this happens to every cat owner but my cat bites and scratches a lot. I don’t know if she does it cause she’s irrated or something but it really hurts. I’m usually just not doing anything and out of now where she’ll come and jump on me. She’ll dig her claws and bite me hard and I have so many cuts all over my legs and hands. Also while she’s digging into me I can’t help but push her away and I don’t know if that makes her angrier because she runs back and does the same thing and my only option is to leave the room. I’ve also started to notice that when my family and I try to pet her she bites us. I just want her to stop or at least minimize the pounces because I know it’s a normal behavior for cats but it’s to much
I am going through the same thing. My cat will be 1 year old this June and he randomly attacks me. Unprovoked and I'm all bit and torn up. It's really hard too.