Biting

canopener

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ciaran has always been the mouthy type--he sometimes will get excited during play and affection and start mouthing/gnawing me or my clothing. I thought at first it meant he'd had enough but he often draws my arm towards him with his paws during these episodes. Sometimes it seems to be a play invitation and other times he just seems over-excited. I address it by telling him "no" and ignoring him and, while I was never able to totally eliminate the behavior, it did significantly decrease for a while. But it's been increasing lately. It has been a stressful six months for him (my other cat died of cancer, we moved, I started a job that involves long and sometimes odd hours) so I am wondering if there is a stress component. Anyway, any advice on managing the behavior would be much appreciated.

(FYI he has his annual physical coming up next weekend.)

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It very well could be stressed induced.  I would try to continue with a sharp "NO" and either walk away or try to redirect him with a toy.  You can try a wand toy or laser pointer.  Try to really get him moving.  You might try the hunt, catch, kill, eat, groom, sleep procedure.  You want your cat to really get moving.  Try a da bird wand toy or other wand toy or a laser pointer and simulate him hunting.  You want this session to last 10-20 minutes so that he will be tired out.  After a session, reward him with a special treat or small meal.  Make it something special.  This will satisfy the "eat".  Next he should groom himself and take a nap if you played enough and the snack/treat/meal was satisfying. 

He may be biting out of boredom too.  Cats aren't very good at solitary play. 

Be sure to mention this behavior at his check up.

Have you tried Feliway diffusers or Composure calming treats?