Biting/teething?

xenabean

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My 8 month old LOVES to bite. Especially human hands and feet!

When i got him, he was really little and I'm assuming he never learned his "manners" from his mother so now i am dealing with it, or trying to the best i can. How can i get him to stop biting so much? Could it just be that hes still teething?

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Are you using your hands and fingers to play with him?  Many people love to use their hands and fingers to entice a cat.  Now the cats sees these fingers as toys.  When he starts to bite, tell him NO.  Then distract him with an appropriate toy.  Do you have a da bird wand toy or a laser pointer?  Usually by 8 months all of the teeth are in.  My guess is that it's a habit he's developed.  If distracting him doesn't work, then after he bites, tell him NO, then walk away and ignore him.  Try again later and continue telling him NO and walking away.  Do not hit or swat back or use a spray bottle.  Just NO and ignore if distracting him with a toy doesn't work.

Kittens have lots and lots of energy.  Have a long play session with him where you really tired him out.  Use the hunt, catch, kill, eat, groom, sleep theory.  Play with cat with a wand toy or laser until he is exhausuted ( you want this to last 5-10 minutes or more), then to satifsy the "eat" give him a snack or small meal.  Next he will groom himself and then take a nap.