Biting/scratching Separation Anxiety?

ileen

with Luciano since 12/5/16
Super Cat
Purraise
Luciano has started some new-ish behavior I'd like to correct & welcome all advice.

We live in a small apartment with wood floors. The hallways/stairs of the building are carpeted. For a while now, he likes going out into the hall & hanging out there. He sniffs around, especially down the hall where a dog lives & then positions himself near the staircase looking like he's ready to pounce. However, whenever a door unlocks or someone starts coming up or down the stairs, he runs back into my apartment. When someone is going out or returning from a walk with their dog, Luciano's tail is very thick when he comes back in. I try to let him out at times when I think there won't be much activity in the hallway.

When I'm getting ready in the morning, I've been letting him out for about 10 minutes. Before that, when I was ready to leave for the day & I unlocked & opened my front door, he would dart out & I'd have to try to lure him back into the apartment. Da mouse used to work, but no more. When I'm wearing pants & boots (to mid-shin), it didn't matter if he would swipe at my leg/foot and bite. He used to do that once, which to me was like an 'f-you' and then trot back into the apartment. Now he lays down in the hallway & doesn't want to move. If I try to nudge him with my shoe or my bag, he will move towards the door a few steps and then lie down on the carpet again, stretching & scratching it a bit.

Today I realized I really need to change this behavior. Even though I was wearing boots/pants, he swiped at me & tried to bite me every time he moved down the hall closer to our door. The first four times were painless, but I still did the "Ow!" letting him know that wasn't cool. The last time he went up higher on my leg & the bite really hurt. He broke the skin & it was bleeding a bit when I got to work & cleaned & dressed the wound.

Am I wrong in thinking this may be separation anxiety? Maybe he thinks it's a game? Should I never allow him in the hallway? Pick him up immediately if he goes out there & bring him back in?

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't let him out in the hallway, I'd be worried about him getting scared and running out the door to the outside. If it's the carpet he likes, maybe you can get him his own throw rug, my cats love those.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ileen

Super Cat
Purraise
Thanks. It's 3 flights down & through two doors before getting to the outside, so I don't have to worry about that. He has carpet up in the storage lofts that he scratches. I think he likes the change of scenery and the novel smells out in the hallway as well.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ileen

Super Cat
Purraise
I didn't let him out this morning & there was no scratching or biting thankfully. I had da mouse in my hand & put it over by a box in a corner behind the door so he was distracted & I was able to sneak out without him joining. Not sure how long he will fall for that, but glad it worked today.