Biting My new kitten is 5 months and I’ve been trying to stop her biting Followed advice on when she does it put her in her room for 5 min

Natalie Cataline

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oops my title is a bit long as I got into the message. Anyway have tried not to give her any reason to bite barely touching at all. Play with her 3 times a day, advice from Jackson galaxy. But when I passed her she reached out and brought blood this time. Today I played with her and she looked a bit tired so I quit, she made her way to my lap which thrilled me but then she laid down and started biting not breaking skin so I let her and she kept at it with different parts of my hand and arm

I was stunned then I got up and took her to her room while she kept at me but protected myself. Now I know this may seem strange but I’ve just cried. Tried so many things thinking it might help and she’ll do something sweet and then boom the biting starts. Don’t know if this was a bad match on her part or what. I honestly am at a loss. Can anyone help me to understand.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Hi,
so I let her and she kept at it with different parts of my hand and arm
Don't let her do this.

You need to utilize a loud clap of the hands, a loud NO and a high pitched OW when she does this, also use a metal can filled halfway with coins and shake it hard to get her to stop, and also HISS at her. That is what her feline mama would do, and she'll understand that.

The main thing here is that you have to do this every time. She's just a baby, a lot of this is how kittens play with each other and learn the catly things they need to know. However, consistent repetitiveness on your part is what she needs in order to learn what isn't acceptable.

Also, she might be teething. Take a washcloth (well rinsed if you use scented dryer sheets), wet it and put it in the freezer for a bit. The cold will help ease any discomfort and she should enjoy chewing on it. Have several ready to go for her.

Be sure and feed her multiple canned meals throughout the day. Her tummy isn't big enough to hold a lot of food, but she needs a lot to fuel all the growth she's going through, until she's at least a year old.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think time outs train away bad behavior at all. I mean, with a break, a cat may do something else when it gets out of time out. But it doesn't make the link. So you need to do something that works for training, like the methods Furballsmom Furballsmom proposed.

I don't think Jackson Galaxy really said play with a kitten exactly three times, did he? That would be...well kind of dumb? Play with a kitten as many times as you have time and energy for, and the kitten seems interested in. If thats 5, great. If its 1 or 2 sessions on a particular day, perhaps less great, but thats life, and the kitten will be fine. I certainly don't think there is a magic number of sessions or time that will prevent biting . . . many kittens do that, it has to be trained away. Truth is, many kittens have almost unlimited energy and trying to get them to behave better by draining their energy via play is like trying to drain the ocean with a bucket. Its worth the attempt, and I'm sure it will benefit them and your bond in various ways. But it will not likely replace training.

Last edited:

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Timeouts allow the cat to reset, they do not train the cat to not do something.

A strict toys not hands policy is needed for your entire household. If you see her starting to hunt you, toss a small toy away from you. Interactive toys you rotate help with the play. Silvervine sticks are great for teething kittens.

The energy: A box filled with crumpled newspaper or slightly s crumpled or folded tissue paper and a few toys, is endless fun for a kitten. The cat dancer is cheap but fascinating to cats. More expensive but worth it if you have hard flooring are hexabugs cat toys ...... just keep it out of the kitchen and supervise. On rainy days I give my hyper terror 2-3 hexabugs running around (he loves the fake mice.) pop up cubes are great fun and a wand toy she can hunt from are always good. I give my hyper boy a new box or cube or cardboard cat house scratcher every month (I included his cheap 7$ pop up cube/tent from Amazon, his fall playhouse & his hexabugs mega kit from last Christmas..... I need to buy that again! Bird feeders are your best bet! Hang them by a window with a sturdy screen. Then put a chair or cat tree by the window, that way she can perch and watch the birds. What really drains my cat of all his hyper energy is outside time! If you can a catio is ideal, once your kitten is vaccinated.

About thd biting: I did a loud high pitch wailing oooooooooooowwwwwwwsee (the loud bit startled them, the high pitch bit is what kittens do when they hurt each other by playing to rough.) After the OW or hiss, ignore her for 5-15 minutes. When I say it note, I mean refuse to even look at her, type of ignore. Ignoring is what kittens/cats do if their buddy plays to rough.

Attachments

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Natalie Cataline

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi,

Don't let her do this.

You need to utilize a loud clap of the hands, a loud NO and a high pitched OW when she does this, also use a metal can filled halfway with coins and shake it hard to get her to stop, and also HISS at her. That is what her feline mama would do, and she'll understand that.

The main thing here is that you have to do this every time. She's just a baby, a lot of this is how kittens play with each other and learn the catly things they need to know. However, consistent repetitiveness on your part is what she needs in order to learn what isn't acceptable.

Also, she might be teething. Take a washcloth (well rinsed if you use scented dryer sheets), wet it and put it in the freezer for a bit. The cold will help ease any discomfort and she should enjoy chewing on it. Have several ready to go for her.

Be sure and feed her multiple canned meals throughout the day. Her tummy isn't big enough to hold a lot of food, but she needs a lot to fuel all the growth she's going through, until she's at least a year old.
Ok I’ll do it I love the little rascal

Natalie Cataline

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I don't think time outs train away bad behavior at all. I mean, with a break, a cat may do something else when it gets out of time out. But it doesn't make the link. So you need to do something that works for training, like the methods Furballsmom Furballsmom proposed.

I don't think Jackson Galaxy really said play with a kitten exactly three times, did he? That would be...well kind of dumb? Play with a kitten as many times as you have time and energy for, and the kitten seems interested in. If thats 5, great. If its 1 or 2 sessions on a particular day, perhaps less great, but thats life, and the kitten will be fine. I certainly don't think there is a magic number of sessions or time that will prevent biting . . . many kittens do that, it has to be trained away. Truth is, many kittens have almost unlimited energy and trying to get them to behave better by draining their energy via play is like trying to drain the ocean with a bucket. Its worth the attempt, and I'm sure it will benefit them and your bond in various ways. But it will not likely replace training.
I needed to hear that Very level headed No Jackson didn’t say 3 times probably I inserted it from someone else
Timeouts allow the cat to reset, they do not train the cat to not do something.

A strict toys not hands policy is needed for your entire household. If you see her starting to hunt you, toss a small toy away from you. Interactive toys you rotate help with the play. Silvervine sticks are great for teething kittens.

The energy: A box filled with crumpled newspaper or slightly s crumpled or folded tissue paper and a few toys, is endless fun for a kitten. The cat dancer is cheap but fascinating to cats. More expensive but worth it if you have hard flooring are hexabugs cat toys ...... just keep it out of the kitchen and supervise. On rainy days I give my hyper terror 2-3 hexabugs running around (he loves the fake mice.) pop up cubes are great fun and a wand toy she can hunt from are always good. I give my hyper boy a new box or cube or cardboard cat house scratcher every month (I included his cheap 7$ pop up cube/tent from Amazon, his fall playhouse & his hexabugs mega kit from last Christmas..... I need to buy that again! Bird feeders are your best bet! Hang them by a window with a sturdy screen. Then put a chair or cat tree by the window, that way she can perch and watch the birds. What really drains my cat of all his hyper energy is outside time! If you can a catio is ideal, once your kitten is vaccinated.

About thd biting: I did a loud high pitch wailing oooooooooooowwwwwwwsee (the loud bit startled them, the high pitch bit is what kittens do when they hurt each other by playing to rough.) After the OW or hiss, ignore her for 5-15 minutes. When I say it note, I mean refuse to even look at her, type of ignore. Ignoring is what kittens/cats do if their buddy plays to rough.
man I’m taking this all in I already feel better

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sarthur2 Sarthur2 us absolutely right about the hiss. You'll need to do it the same second kitty bites you. That tells them no, don't bite, no question. Practice a bit before you try it. You may spit a little, that's okay. Our kitten had bitten me every day since we got her. Then I remembered and the first time I hissed as she bit, she pushed away from my foot, curled up and bit her own tail and shrieked. I don't think she had any idea that biting hurt before that. She never bit again, at least she hasn't for the last 8 years.

Hissing doesn't work as well for scratching.

BoaztheAdventureCat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi,

Don't let her do this.

My cat as a kitten was VERY bitey (play biting, not trying to be mean) and I tried EVERYTHING- clapping loudly, yelling NO or OW, a shake can, a spray bottle, nothing worked...until my Dad and my brother brought home kittens of their own. There are some things a cat needs to learn that can ONLY be learned by being taught by another cat. When my cat had other kittens in the house to play with, his play attacking of the humans stopped immediately and the other kittens taught him how to use his teeth and claws more appropriately.

Natalie Cataline Natalie Cataline I want to encourage you that you bring home another kitten close to your current kitten's age QUICKLY. The longer your kitten goes as the only kitten in the house, the more likely it will be that his bad play manners will be stuck with him for life. Even just 2 months of my cat being the only kitten was too long. Having other kittens in the home eventually was better late than never, but the damage has been done. To this day he is socially awkward with other cats (and humans sometimes) because even though 2 months feels like a short time to us, 2 months is a huge portion of a kitten's childhood. He only knows how to play rough and he has no respect for the opinions of other people OR cats.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
TCS has some articles that will help:

Some kittens may do better if they have another cat to wrestle and play with. That's something to consider.

Natalie Cataline

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat as a kitten was VERY bitey (play biting, not trying to be mean) and I tried EVERYTHING- clapping loudly, yelling NO or OW, a shake can, a spray bottle, nothing worked...until my Dad and my brother brought home kittens of their own. There are some things a cat needs to learn that can ONLY be learned by being taught by another cat. When my cat had other kittens in the house to play with, his play attacking of the humans stopped immediately and the other kittens taught him how to use his teeth and claws more appropriately.

Natalie Cataline Natalie Cataline I want to encourage you that you bring home another kitten close to your current kitten's age QUICKLY. The longer your kitten goes as the only kitten in the house, the more likely it will be that his bad play manners will be stuck with him for life. Even just 2 months of my cat being the only kitten was too long. Having other kittens in the home eventually was better late than never, but the damage has been done. To this day he is socially awkward with other cats (and humans sometimes) because even though 2 months feels like a short time to us, 2 months is a huge portion of a kitten's childhood. He only knows how to play rough and he has no respect for the opinions of other people OR cats.
I don’t doubt your probably right but I had to really persuade my husband to let me have her . Another would take a miracle. I do know one I would love to get but know how difficult it would be so that’s where I’m at but I’m gonna try the advice given and thank you very much for what you’ve counseled

Natalie Cataline

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sarthur2 Sarthur2 us absolutely right about the hiss. You'll need to do it the same second kitty bites you. That tells them no, don't bite, no question. Practice a bit before you try it. You may spit a little, that's okay. Our kitten had bitten me every day since we got her. Then I remembered and the first time I hissed as she bit, she pushed away from my foot, curled up and bit her own tail and shrieked. I don't think she had any idea that biting hurt before that. She never bit again, at least she hasn't for the last 8 years.

Hissing doesn't work as well for scratching.
Ok hissing good
We're cheering for you!
:vibes::cheerleader::redheartpump:
i gotta share cause for one I’m so grateful and two I’m amazed I tried the ouchhhhhh and it worked There was a very shocked face and ran away but later she came to me and was so sweet Well I told my husband all about it and that it was a joint effort Later we were watching tv and she came up to me and bit and I screeched My husband nearly ran off with her Too funny but he knows now what I meant Today she’s rubbed against my legs and talked to me and it’s been great! She did make a slight effort to bite and I did it again It’s working!!! I do believe it is and soon I hope it’ll be stopped I so happy about this you just don’t know

people like me who know nothing about cats need people like you guys to help them along! Woohoo