Biting Ears--what is wrong with these cats?

luckistar2

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello,
I am new here and so excited to have found the site. I am going to ask my vet about this problem but they have a tendancy to dismiss my behavorial concerns.

I have 5 indoor cats that have all lived together all of their lives. My oldest female will be 12 soon and she is always getting picked on by two of the other cats, which frustrates me but I cannot seem to stop it.

I have 4 females and 1 boy. My problem is with the boy and my oldest girl. I caught him gripping her ear in his mouth and pulling. She wasn't fighting back but I quickly stopped him so she really didn't have a chance. I picked her up to give her love and noticed that she had a few small scabs on each ear which means he has done this before.

He is not aggressive to me and play bites every once in awhile. He never hisses or swats at my old girl but he will chase her around. I figured he wanted to play and she was declining but I have no idea what has prompted this ear biting.

I am not really sure there is a solution but I am so frustrated!

Carly

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi Carly- are these cats all spayed and neutered? Do you have plenty of space for them to get away from each other if need be? Cat condos, cat ramps, that type of thing? If could just be that there are to many cats in one area and territorial aggression starts. I would invest in good solid cat condos, and also look into Comfort Zone Room Diffusers by Farnum Pet and start those in your home. You also might look into the the different Bach Flower remedies they have special mixes for mult-cat households.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

luckistar2

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello,
Yes, all cats are fixed. We have a 3 bedroom condo and the oldest girl spends all of her time on my bed. We have a hue cat tower that goes from floor to ceiling and another one that goes from the floor to the windowsill so they can sun bathe. They also have blankets and beds just for them in 3 other parts of the house.
I haven't heard of Room Diffusers, I will have to check that out. Thanks for the idea.
Four of my cats are under 4 years old, I think they overwhelm my old girl. They like to smack at her when she is leaving the litterbox. They let her do her business and then they hit her when she leaves the box.

Carly