Biting and chewing on EVERYTHING

purmonster

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Bee, is my male cat that's almost a year old, that thinks he's a dog! He chews and bites on everything despite the fact that i'm sure he's finished teething. He chews on dvds, dvd player, wifi router, cell phones, wires, gets in garbages and chews on things, shoes, purfume bottles, you name it, it has been chewed in my apartment! And then the biting! No matter how many toys he has he would rather bite or attack a leg/hand/arm. Just this Christmas holidays, my dad came over and was playing with him for a halfhour pretty peacefully until he bit his face, and made his lip bleed pretty bad. He has a lot of energy, and he gets one on one playtime with me 15-20 min in the morning and a halfhour before bed. Not sure how to train a cat not to bite or chew? Right now i'm using a spray bottle for chewing, but now he just closes his eyes doesn't move and continues chewing..lol. And the biting, distraction with a tennis ball (because he plays fetch) can stop him from attacking my arms or legs for 5min.

Lastly, I did find him outside as a stray as a kitten. Dirty and wet with an eye infection. Cleaned him up, took care of his eye infection, got his shots and fixed. I knew when I took him in by his behaviour he had been feral his whole life. So we have come along way in the months i've had him. But I can't seem to break this habit? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

emandjee

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
PURmonster,
It's time to get a taste deterrent for your kitty. A product called bitter apple spray works well for my chewer kitty, too. You may need to spray on surfaces that he's attracted to every few days or so, but don't spray it right before he goes there, allow the product to fully dry.

The best way to prevent him from biting inappropriately is to never play with your hands or feet with him. Always use a wand toy like da bird or laser toys instead. When and if he does bite inappropriately, it may help to squeal like an injured kitten then stop whatever you were doing, and leave the room to ignore him for several minutes. You may need to continue to do this countless times before he "gets it". And please make sure all household members also follow through. The more consistent the human behaviors are, the more likely he is to change.

He's still a young cat, equivalent to a young adult, so you may need to tire him out more with more interactive but hardcore play. This means playing with him until he is so tired he's panting AND must lay on his side and can't get up anymore. Best toys for that would be da bird or the laser.

Hope this helps your boy!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

purmonster

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for the advice!
I have thought about bitter apple, my only thought was is it safe for wires and electronics? Right now I have used Tabasco sauce, as advice from my parents who used it on things to keep the pets away, it so far has worked for a pipe behind my toilet he was doing damage on. I just couldn't have Tabasco sauce over everything...what a mess that would be!

And play time is always with wand toy or a tennis ball. I tried the laser pointer..my cat did not like that, hissed and spread all fours out on the floor in a frozen position and started panting? Like he was having a panic attack? I go through wand toys every few days so I buy them in bulk. But honestly you can play with him all day, and he will still bite and attack all of a sudden whenever you show him affection. He is in constant play mode! Or you will be playing with a toy, and it's never good enough and he's start attacking me to play physically? And when people come over, he always comes and sits right in front of them says his hello peacefully, and then will put his ears up and his body side ways (I call this attack mode lol) and will attack and and try to play. I have to tell people he bites :( and when they don't even say hello because they don't want to be bitten, he'll get sad and he's vocal, so he'll start crying until they show him attention? He is for sure one of a kind kitty, with a great personality, I wish he would just stop being so aggressive so everyone could enjoy him like I do, and not be scared of him?

saabikam

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well I have a cat who bites. She is a 3-4 year old who turned up as a stray and went on to have a half dozen kittens. I found homes for them and kept her. She has been spayed and enjoys a quiet life with good food and plenty of outside scope. BUT every now and then she attacks - without warning - and will bite and run. Only yesterday she pounced on my head when I was in bed and bit my head and scratched my face. I just keep a close eye on her and I warn everyone about her. She doesn't like other cats either. I think you just need to be watchful and grin and bear it. I don't believe it's possible to change the cats character.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My Aby used to chew on everything when he was younger. He stopped when I got another cat. I think my Aby was just bored because he didn't have another cat to play with while I was at work. I don't know if adopting another cat is an option for you.

Last edited:

purmonster

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I actually did think he would like some company and that the chewing was a sign of boredom aswell. And because of his high energy level, I thought a playmate would be good to teach him not to be aggressive when he plays? The only thing is I only have a one bedroom apartment, not sure how I would get another cat and do a proper introduction? I do not have another room other then a small washroom to keep another cat during the long process, and I could not use my bedroom, those are the only two rooms in my apartment with doors? It has a very open concept my apartment, and my bedroom does not work because that is Bee's safe place, and where he goes when I am not home. Didn't think it would be fair to get another cat until I have more space since I know introductions can take a long time..

purmonster

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Also got some bitter apple spray, sprayed it on a cloth until damp, and dusted and wiped down all wires and electronics around the tv, so far so good, he jumped up sniffed around for a second and before I could yell he jumped down!

emandjee

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Crossing fingers for you this keeps up! 

kingallyone

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello.l know how you feel we have 6 lovely cats and out of the 6 5 have nearly marked all over our lovely house with catching and some times biting wires .Our dog does not bite any thing now as is older now (better not talk to soon) bye for now from purplelady

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I actually did think he would like some company and that the chewing was a sign of boredom aswell. And because of his high energy level, I thought a playmate would be good to teach him not to be aggressive when he plays? The only thing is I only have a one bedroom apartment, not sure how I would get another cat and do a proper introduction? I do not have another room other then a small washroom to keep another cat during the long process, and I could not use my bedroom, those are the only two rooms in my apartment with doors? It has a very open concept my apartment, and my bedroom does not work because that is Bee's safe place, and where he goes when I am not home. Didn't think it would be fair to get another cat until I have more space since I know introductions can take a long time..
I also have a 1 bedroom with an open layout and and got a second cat with no problem
I used the bathroom for the second cat and it was only for a few days. During the first few days, my new cat stayed in the bathroom while I was at work. I imagine the two cats sniffed each other from under the door and "talked" to each other. When I was home, she would be let out to explore and get to know my other cat. Fortunately my Aby was thrilled to have another cat to pla with so I had no issue at all with fighting or dominance establishing. The new cat did hiss a few times at my Aby but otherwise settled in just fine.