Bitey kitten

waddle

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My 5 mo old kitten is a little bitey. I think he’s just playing, but obviously I want to discourage this. He will nip at my feet, etc. I’ve read they are teething at this age, so hopefully it will happen less and less as he gets older.

Are there any specific types of toys that might help? I saw chewy has some chew sticks but they have mixed reviews.

IMG_3245.jpeg

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Generally, its best to actively discourage this rather than wait for it to die out on its own. It may not, and it could start getting painful/damaging as the cat gets bigger. A just loud enough "no!" is my go to, but any noise will do if its loud enough.

Its tricky if the cat is skittish or not super well bonded to you. Don't want to discourage him from coming around. Usually I find a little training not to impact the relationship at all, but I do have a somewhat naturally skittish 3 year old now. I use only ineffective gentle discouragement/avoidance when she starts licking me. Its really fairly annoying, she can be relentless about it, but given that she is skittish and its harmless (unlike biting) I dont use sterner methods.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I always suggest speaking cat to your kitten and going with a high pitched EEP sound. It's similar to the squeak a littermate would let out if one got too rough with another.

Giving them something to chew on like a silvervine stick (choose a thick one as the thin ones split easily). Or a dog chew that's made out of beef, chicken, fish etc is likely fine. (No rawhide!)

He may still be getting his adult teeth, and teething could be causing some extra bity-ness