Biter

taryn

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I thought I was done with deaths related to FeLV, but I was wrong. We lost Attitude and Nuts' mom Biter, who was maybe 4 years old to FeLV, a year after we lost Nuts, at 2 years old, who was the last of her 9 kittens. The only FeLV cat we have left is Mama who we know is at least 5, Biter's mom and so far she seems ok, but then again so did Biter until the end.

I'm sick of this disease, I'm sick of the deaths, even though it's been a year since we lost the last cat before her, which was Blue to FeLV. Biter was one of our outside feral cats. She moved next door to our neighbor Mickey's house after we got Dexter, I guess she didn't appreciate us getting a dog. She lived with Blue until he died from FeLV last year. We still have Mama, we also have Eeek, who just showed up last year after being dumped here like so many cats are. We had Eeek vaccinated when we had her spayed so we're hoping that she is protected. We currentl;y have another cat that just showed up Buddy, but he won't let us near him and we have been able to catch him and since he's a him we're not as worried about catching him, he can't get pregnant. We don't have any unspayed females as far as I know, we catch them fairly quickly and spay them, after the summer of 2009 with the birth of 15 FeLV positive kittens from 4 positive moms we don't want a repeat of that.

I just feel like crap. She's buried with her babies Runt, Attitude, Nuts and her sister Half-Tail, all 4 were part of the 15 positive kittens born in 2009, none made it to 25 months old and only Nuts and Blue(who just showed up one day, was accepted by the group, and decided to stick around, he wasn't related to any of the other cats) made it to 2 years old. I don't know why Biter seemed to not be that sick from the FeLV until the very end, or why Mama continues to be the picture of health, this disease is so confusing. I just hope I dont have to bury Mama anytime soon. I'm really attached to her.

Taryn

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
That's so sad and really illustrates how horrible FeLV can be and why people have to vaccinate. I'm very sorry for your loss. RIP, Biter.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
So very, very sorry of you losing :rbheart: Biter. Losing so many to the terrible disease FeLK must takes its toll on your weary heart. :sniffle: :hugs: I am so sad for you having to deal with this terrible disease. Mega vibes to you, hun..:vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:

RIP sweet :rbheart: Biter :rbheart: :angel:

Last edited: