Bit obsessed with my new cat’s health

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So around Christmas, 2 years ago, I lost Dante, the greatest Bud. I adopted a returned foster kitten to give him a steady home & it was probably to soon. The thing is, I’m worried about his health allllll the time. I’m not sure how I get over that hurdle. I lost Dante, way to soon at 13.5 years old from a severe allergies (probably chicken) that gave him severe asthma & he had pancreatitis.

So I feed Jackie 3/4 wet 1/4 dry. He is a fish loving cat & I am worried eating to much fish will give him pancreatitis. I’m also trying to avoid or limit chicken (he is 1/2 siamese, so 1/2 prone to allergies.) I give him duck dry food and don’t buy him chicken wet food (though ALL fancy feast has chicken in it!)

I know I can’t predict health issues & I should relax & quit worrying about it but I just can’t seem to do that. Does anyone else have any ideas on how to quit obsessing about what he eats causing him health issues?

Jackie is an extremely well loved companion cat. He is an only cat expect on the weekend when he visits his brother/bff. He stopped being the new cat sometime last year, though I still tell him how much I miss his Uncle Dante.

Dante’s painting has Christmas stuff around it.
1CE00B62-EACB-4E34-A3E9-F8A00B7B20A1.jpeg
Jackie:
F52EE2D3-F8C5-4345-B1EC-5D29D279EBFF.jpeg
48BF0BAE-2579-42C4-870B-52FA273B3B6D.jpeg

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
They are both such handsome cats😍
know I can’t predict health issues & I should relax & quit worrying about it but I just can’t seem to do that. Does anyone else have any ideas on how to quit obsessing about what he eats causing him health issues?
One thing would be to maintain his annual wellness checkups, and also, in case you aren't familiar with these (with the thought that knowledge is power at least up to a point :) );

Check This Out.... Chart For Cat Food Ingredients

CatFoodDB's Best Wet Cat Foods

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Such beautiful cats! I agree that since you are concerned about diet, do as much research as you can and when you feel that you have the best solution follow that and try to let the worry go. If you can believe that you have been very proactive, you will probably feel better. Did the vet tell you that the chicken allergy led to pancreatitis?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I know I can’t predict health issues & I should relax & quit worrying about it but I just can’t seem to do that. Does anyone else have any ideas on how to quit obsessing about what he eats causing him health issues?
Hi! No, and if you try to predict health issues, you'd probably be wrong. He is young and thriving so far from what you've described. You can't impose Dante's issues on what might happen to Jackie. As far as I know, staying away from highly fatty foods is the best way to help avoid pancreatitis, so it is not necessarily fish in general. And, if you have the tiniest suspicion that chicken is an issue, they can test for that specifically - ask your vet.

I totally agree with Furballsmom Furballsmom , regular check ups are your best bet in helping to identify any early issues when they are much more treatable. And, by all means do as much research as you want on foods, but don't make it your sole focus on that adorable cat! (Love Dante's painting, btw!!).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you everyone. He gets his annuals and his last 2 vaccinations took 2 trips. 🤦🏻‍♀️ He is 100% healthy minus some plaque starting to build up. I will also call and ask if there is a test I can do to see if he is developing an allergy. He hates getting his teeth rubbed but I can start working on that with him again.

The vet said to much fish can cause pancreatitis. I will now start looking at fat levels. Fancy feast is not good food wise but he is a picky little twerp who will starve himself! It was a struggle to get him mostly on wet and once he discovered fancy feast, he insisted on it! I gave up on the food wars. I’m currently switching him down to 3 wet food dinners. Then in 3 months down to 2. That way his dry duck food would be 1/2 his diet and the other half he could pig out on a can of fancy feast tuna. Now that I have heard about fat, I might need to reevaluate that plan & if I want to feed him duck or chicken dry food.

FeebysOwner thank you! My mom painted me that painting for last Christmas, she knew how much I missed him.

Christmas is hard for me since I put him to sleep less than a week after Christmas. I’m still eternally grateful for that extra week of time I got with him. The last 4 days he was pretty happy, eating again & was even playing a bit. He was on anti-nausea & pain meds though. Here are some happy pictures of him during happier times.

68530530-971E-4157-8753-CCFB71EFA227.jpeg
A324B6B7-E58C-493A-9B59-8705159178D4.jpeg
67BAFA9E-2F48-4EFC-A786-2DDDA5F60897.jpeg
2051F583-55A0-4B52-B28B-302405786F7E.jpeg
B33D2954-8E6F-4CA2-955A-6E1DC6775F72.jpeg

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Ah, Sweetie... I so understand what you are going though, and it is so very human! Take a look at fat levels in various fish. There are "fat" fish and "lean" fish. Once you have done that, and know what to look for, take a deep breath, and enjoy your cat! Don't throw away your todays fretting about possible tomorrows. I don't know if you meditate, but it is a wonderful way to clear your mind and allow yourself to start fresh!

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is so human to worry about this when you lost someone dear to allergies/diet. The chances of Jackie getting the same thing are about as high as all humans dying of the same thing, in other words, not high at all. Don't obsess with his diet to the point of not being aware of changes in his health because of something else. Yearly vet visits (twice yearly when he gets around ten or so) would help to ensure something is caught before it gets too bad. Millions of cats have survived on horrible diets and lived to be a ripe old age, it is just that everyone has to be aware of any changes that indicate something is wrong. To catch something wrong early means a much better chance of curing it.
As for his teeth, after spending a lot of money (and to me having to put a cat under anesthesia too much) I started using the water additives for cats in their water. I use Oxyfresh and Oratene. Since starting it their teeth have been MUCH cleaner.
Some things happen in life to help us change things for the better. You are much more aware now of what to look for on allergies/pancreatitis. When my Chrissy was killed on the street, my cats became strictly indoors. It forms our future and may help to prevent horrible things from happening again. NONE OF US ARE PERFECT. We will all fail at something or predicting what will happen. It is what we do with it later that counts. Try to concentrate on the present, get as much out of life right now. The past is set in stone, the future is not ours to see. do not live in the past so much you forfeit your present. Grieving takes as long as it does, you are still early in your healing. Don't force yourself to 'get over' Dante because that will never happen. His love is tied to your soul for eternity. He will always be near. Don't think of Dante less, just involve yourself in your present life, and with that beautiful new little one more. As the years go by, Dante will sort himself out to where he belongs in your heart and your life, as you make a new life's order for yourself. His love will be added on to, never replaced, and that will even make it stronger. Your love for Jackie will grow stronger as your heart heals. It is so hard to accept that our lives change, that horrible things happen, but good things do too. Don't let the bad overshadow the good, they can if you let them. Don't let Dante's beautiful life and the love he shared with you be less important than his death. That can never be. It is hard, but you can take that first step to live again as life is meant to be lived. It takes actively seeking the beauty and love in life, not dwelling in the pain and horror of death. Get through the next hour, the next day, the next week. One day at a time........

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I so understand what you are going though, and it is so very human!
:yeah: This is so true! I think we can all relate to what you're going through with Dante at the Bridge. It's never easy losing a member of our family especially when it is a furry, four-legged member. They give us unconditional love and ask for very little in return. :catlove:

Regarding Pancreatitis, our present cat was diagnosed with it last year. He loves chicken and although it's not an exclusive part of his diet he has not had any reoccurring side effects. :crossfingers: You may want to consider consulting a feline only vet about your concern(s). Below is a thread about Pancreatitis that may have some helpful information for you. Note: what white shadow white shadow wrote about this illness and a specific support group: Pancreatitis

Both Dante and Jackie are stunning cats. You are very fortunate to have had Dante in your life and now Jackie. :hearthrob: I wish you the best of luck. Please keep us posted on Jackie's progress.

Last edited:

Ravynn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Funny, I just made a post yesterday about my worrying all the time about my new kitten, Binx's health. I got him only a month after my previous cat passed, so of course I worry about his health since it was so soon. Just wanted to share that you are not alone in the worries!

He looks identical to Jackie as a kitten! So crazy.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awwww your kitten is cute! He is a lynx point. Expect him to get darker! I call Jackie my milk chocolate prince sometimes because his back has darkened. (his belly is still white.) I’m hoping he will stop turning dark by 2.5 years but by 3 years I should know how dark he will get. (He just turned 2 in September.)

Honestly if I hadn’t started fostering him before Dante got sick, I would not have adopted him. I don’t think I could have opened my heart so soon. I loved Jackie from the get go (though I tried not to get attached when I was fostering him) some cats you are just extra close to. Dante was that extra special cat from heaven.

F52F8D6C-21FA-4D58-B2B9-2813CE8FB3EC.jpeg

The black panther is his brother Nick:

ECB0FE92-2A79-4C76-BA24-F1067647FB15.jpeg

Micaela227

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It is so human to worry about this when you lost someone dear to allergies/diet. The chances of Jackie getting the same thing are about as high as all humans dying of the same thing, in other words, not high at all. Don't obsess with his diet to the point of not being aware of changes in his health because of something else. Yearly vet visits (twice yearly when he gets around ten or so) would help to ensure something is caught before it gets too bad. Millions of cats have survived on horrible diets and lived to be a ripe old age, it is just that everyone has to be aware of any changes that indicate something is wrong. To catch something wrong early means a much better chance of curing it.
As for his teeth, after spending a lot of money (and to me having to put a cat under anesthesia too much) I started using the water additives for cats in their water. I use Oxyfresh and Oratene. Since starting it their teeth have been MUCH cleaner.
Some things happen in life to help us change things for the better. You are much more aware now of what to look for on allergies/pancreatitis. When my Chrissy was killed on the street, my cats became strictly indoors. It forms our future and may help to prevent horrible things from happening again. NONE OF US ARE PERFECT. We will all fail at something or predicting what will happen. It is what we do with it later that counts. Try to concentrate on the present, get as much out of life right now. The past is set in stone, the future is not ours to see. do not live in the past so much you forfeit your present. Grieving takes as long as it does, you are still early in your healing. Don't force yourself to 'get over' Dante because that will never happen. His love is tied to your soul for eternity. He will always be near. Don't think of Dante less, just involve yourself in your present life, and with that beautiful new little one more. As the years go by, Dante will sort himself out to where he belongs in your heart and your life, as you make a new life's order for yourself. His love will be added on to, never replaced, and that will even make it stronger. Your love for Jackie will grow stronger as your heart heals. It is so hard to accept that our lives change, that horrible things happen, but good things do too. Don't let the bad overshadow the good, they can if you let them. Don't let Dante's beautiful life and the love he shared with you be less important than his death. That can never be. It is hard, but you can take that first step to live again as life is meant to be lived. It takes actively seeking the beauty and love in life, not dwelling in the pain and horror of death. Get through the next hour, the next day, the next week. One day at a time........
I can't stress enough how much what you wrote means to me. My cat Otto, the first cat I ever had and my best friend for many years disappeared one night when he was only eleven. It broke me. For years everytime any of my other cats went outside and didn't come back quickly drive me insane. I started to get obsessed, I wouldn't leave the house or I would come back as fast as I could to make sure they were safe. I spent so many nights laying awake and just worrying out of my mind. At the beginning of this year I decided they would become indoor cats, and it was a rough transition, but eventually everything settled down and was better. They are safer, healthier, and I got my life back (well, except for the pandemic and everything). What I mean to say is, for so long, Otto became a horror story, a painful one. Now I can remember him with all the love he gave me and all the good times we had, even if it still hurts sometimes. I still worry too much about them, way more than I probably should, but it's getting better. Your words were beautiful and exactly what I needed to hear. Thank you