Birthday party for my MIL

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Rick's mother will be 95 years old in October. I'm starting to plan a party for her....it's not everyday a person turns 95 years old! She will know that she's coming to our place for a birthday dinner, but she won't know much else.

And I'm kind of going to go a bit overboard with the decorations, balloons, crepe paper, etc. I don't know exactly what to do though. Not sure yet what to serve for dinner but I'm thinking buffet style foods, so I may check Ina's (Barefoot Contessa) cookbooks for some nice ideas. I do know that I'm not baking the cake, although I suppose I could, if I had to. For his parents' 60th anniversary, Rick and I made and decorated the cake; it didn't look too bad, I guess. But with everything else I'm doing, I don't know that I'd find the time. We're thinking of homemade ice cream, although we'll have to see how that goes; we can make it ahead of time and throw it in the freezer. So far, I'm thinking about ten of us, but that could change.

I'm going to order a centerpiece for the dinner table and then she can take the flowers home with her.

And that's pretty much all the further I've gotten! I did Rick's 60th birthday party for a lot more people and it worked out well. But we were outside for that, in the tent and it was a lot easier. Knowing Evelyn, she'll be tickled with anything we do, so I don't know why I'm already in panic mode. I guess I think that because it's Evelyn and because she's going to be 95, I should probably do something more elegant, which lets out the crepe paper and balloons. But yet, it's Rick's mom and we're all family, so I don't know what to do.

Any ideas? Family-casual? Elegant? 

hbunny

Cat herder - Pooper Scooper
Super Cat
Purraise
My hubby's grandmother's 98th birthday was family-casual---kinda.  There were a lot of older ladies brought in from other nursing facilities as well that she had grown up with, went to church with, etc., and a lot of them dressed up.  Not formal-elegant, but church dresses, makeup, etc.  You could tell they all had their hair done for it.  It was a special event for the older ones, but everyone else was fairly casual.  I always tried when dealing with her, taking her anywhere, to remember that her generation was always more about dressing up than we ever will be--and I tried to always be her definition of "presentable" around her.  I had so much respect for her, so I did my best to not be embarrassing to her!  Before she went into the nursing home, she wouldn't even let anyone take her to the grocery store without being in either a nice pantsuit with her hair done or a nice dress on.  She would have a stroke if she saw how I go to the grocery store with my hair up, no makeup, and in yoga pants!

That was her last birthday and it was a good one.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Rick's mother will be 95 years old in October. I'm starting to plan a party for her....it's not everyday a person turns 95 years old! She will know that she's coming to our place for a birthday dinner, but she won't know much else.

And I'm kind of going to go a bit overboard with the decorations, balloons, crepe paper, etc. I don't know exactly what to do though. Not sure yet what to serve for dinner but I'm thinking buffet style foods, so I may check Ina's (Barefoot Contessa) cookbooks for some nice ideas. I do know that I'm not baking the cake, although I suppose I could, if I had to. For his parents' 60th anniversary, Rick and I made and decorated the cake; it didn't look too bad, I guess. But with everything else I'm doing, I don't know that I'd find the time. We're thinking of homemade ice cream, although we'll have to see how that goes; we can make it ahead of time and throw it in the freezer. So far, I'm thinking about ten of us, but that could change.

I'm going to order a centerpiece for the dinner table and then she can take the flowers home with her.

And that's pretty much all the further I've gotten! I did Rick's 60th birthday party for a lot more people and it worked out well. But we were outside for that, in the tent and it was a lot easier. Knowing Evelyn, she'll be tickled with anything we do, so I don't know why I'm already in panic mode. I guess I think that because it's Evelyn and because she's going to be 95, I should probably do something more elegant, which lets out the crepe paper and balloons. But yet, it's Rick's mom and we're all family, so I don't know what to do.

95 Wow. God bless her. 

What kind of parties did she like to throw in her younger days? Did she usually go for formal stuff or more laid back? Do you know what her favorite color is? I think your right. I think she'd be happy with whatever it is you did for her. 

I think buffet type foods would be good. You could do it potluck style if others are willing to contribute. Didn't you say that you have a lot of her old cookbooks and/or recipes that you and she used to make when you were a blushing bride? Why not do some of those as a throwback to the good old days? If you have a Cracker Barrel restaurant near you, they sell candy from the year you were born. They may have treats she enjoyed as a girl. I'd do the balloons. I think that deep down everyone loves them. I'd also go to a party store and get her a tiara. Every girl is a princess at heart. 

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What about playing some music from her era?  She's close to my Grandmother's age.  My cousin's took Gram to a Tony Bennett concert a couple years ago and Gram had the time of her life.  She sang right along with him.  (She has dementia but that music really drew her out!)

I like the idea of serving some foods that were her favorites or trademark.  A birthday sash or tiara could be fun; if she will go for that! 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
She's not really into music all that much. And she would be offended with any kind of tiara or anything like that. That's just the way she is. She is an avid bookworm and she'll read anything she can get her hands on, providing she can see the text....she's into the large-print books now. But she just loves to read.

I'm pretty much in charge of this thing; Rick already told me to do whatever I wanted. Once Rick goes to Oregon, I'm going to hit our paper goods store. They have a lot of neat things for birthdays and holidays, so I know I can find something there. Her favorite color is blue. She loves, adores, worships chocolate, pretty much anything chocolate.

The woman has everything she could possibly want. But did I mention that she loves chocolate? I'm thinking of putting together a gift basket of chocolates from our candy store in town and maybe some snack-type foods for her, nothing huge, just something that she can take home with her and snack on while she's reading her library books. Maybe a bottle of wine; she likes elderberry wine from our local winery.....but I'll have to see if she is even allowed wine at the facility, I'm not sure about that.

Still looking at menu ideas. I think we're going to go with a picnic type of menu, simply because it's the easiest to do. I could make foods that I know she used to make. But she looks forward to dinners with us because she knows that I'll have something different and she likes that. For example, one year for her birthday, I made her birthday dinner from my Barefoot Contessa cookbooks. Everything, from appetizers to dessert. She loved it; she thought it was wonderful. Another time, it was all Alton Brown and she really enjoyed that one, too. One year, I made her the Orange Marmalade Cake from the Jan Karon books; she had wanted me to make that cake so badly and she was thrilled. (And seriously, if I made grilled BBQ chicken pizzas with my sourdough crust for her birthday dinner, she'd be on cloud nine, she likes that pizza so much. :lol3: When she was here on Sunday, she asked me about that pizza because she's so hungry for it.) The food isn't really an issue; it's the decorations and a gift, things like that, although I am considering that basket that I mentioned above. I still think she would enjoy that.

Thanks for your ideas and thanks for reading. At this point, we're still looking at ten people, give or take one or two. Still considering menu items. I really want her to be happy with it.

The other day when she was here, we were sitting in the kitchen, talking about a little bit of everything. She looked at me and pointed to her cookbooks on top of my hutch. And she said, "I can't think of a better place for my books than where they're at now." And she pointed to the hutch. :heart3:

Last edited:

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How about a chocolate fountain or chocolate Fondue.  You could have fruit, marshmallows and cookies to dip into it.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
A chocolate fountain is a great idea! My mother has one and it's always a hit! People ask her to borrow it too. Strawberries, pretzles and marshmallows are always favorites. Banana and pineapple too.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise

How about a chocolate fountain or chocolate Fondue.  You could have fruit, marshmallows and cookies to dip into it.
Awesome! I went to the BB and B website to check them out! Thanks so much! She's going to love it.....aw heck, I'm gonna love it! I may have to do a trial run! 

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Rick is leaning more toward a fondue pot. His reasoning is that he wants to melt cheese. He thinks we'd use the fondue pot more often than a chocolate fountain. Or at least he would. 

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Rick is leaning more toward a fondue pot. His reasoning is that he wants to melt cheese. He thinks we'd use the fondue pot more often than a chocolate fountain. Or at least he would. :D
Or he'd get YOU to make some for him!

I'd get the fountain. It would make for a fancier treat for the birthday girl and she would probably love it. Get him a fondue pot for Christmas or something. :lol3:

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Or he'd get YOU to make some for him!

I'd get the fountain. It would make for a fancier treat for the birthday girl and she would probably love it. Get him a fondue pot for Christmas or something.
 Yeah, you're probably right!

I think we're going to use the community room at the church. Yeah, we could do it at our house, but Rick keeps saying, "The kitchen is too small! You can't sit that many people at the table!" So I suggested the community room. And then it was, "But then we'll have to carry all the food back and forth! That will be a hassle! You'll have to cook in the church kitchen! We'll have to clean up!"
 I can't win! We went from all that to, "You do what you want.....we'll pay for it." And that's where it stands.  I'm going to call the church today.

FWIW, yeah, our kitchen is small (I've always wanted a huge farmhouse, country kitchen). But we've had as many as 20+ people here for dinners and it's worked out. That's what card tables are for. Yeah, it was a hassle, but we got through it. 

So far the menu might be:

Cranberry-Glazed Ham

Meatballs in the crock pot

Baked Penne with Roasted Vegetables (a recipe from Giada de Laurentiis, that is very good and a family favorite, perfect for vegetarians) OR John Legend's Mac and Cheese, so good, so rich and creamy......YUM. Rick is doing some serious pushing for the mac and cheese.

Crock Pot Beans (my sister has already requested them)

Rick's Mom's Broccoli Salad 

Garlic-Parmesan Yeast Rolls

And that's as far as I got. My sister and I will be baking and decorating sugar cookies. I have an old candle cookie cutter and we're thinking of making birthday candle cookies. Not sure about the wine yet yet. Iced tea. And then we'll have the birthday cake, which will probably be your standard sheet cake with chocolate and vanilla and a buttercream frosting and decorated. Rick is really against the chocolate fountain, so I'm not sure what I'm going to do. I'm going out this weekend to look at decorations and such. 

So this is going to be your basic family-type dinner. Everything is pretty much make-ahead and then heat and I can use the church ovens. I have crock pots for the beans and for the meatballs. We'll probably have to use sturdy disposable plates; I'll have to see what's in the church's kitchen.....it's been a while since I was snooping around in there. When we had his parents' 60th wedding anniversary party, we had it there. I was pretty much in big-charge then because he was bowling at States and couldn't make it home until the day of the party.....that was interesting!

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Well, that's not going to happen. We're not going to have the dinner this weekend, but we all are going into her facility with cake, ice cream, etc. for a bit of a party in the community room there. And then we'll bring her to the house in a couple of weeks for dinner. It's too much right now and Rick doesn't want to deal with it. He said he'd be more willing later on and I understand.

I ordered the cake and I'm baking cookies on Friday night (the grands will be there and I know they're going to want cookies). I'm taking our Keurig to the party and have assorted k-cups for that; I don't buy coffee anymore at all and both my MIL and my DIL drink nothing but decaf. They both like the Keurig, so that will work. Milk for the kids, punch and iced tea for whomever. Rick's sister and BIL are making ice cream and he is making his famous (in the family, anyway) peanuts. I'm getting a flower arrangement for the table and then she'll have it for her room afterward.

We talked to her and I know she's disappointed. But I promised her dinner in a couple of weeks and we'll pretty much stick to the above menu at that time. Other than I'm looking at Roasted Pork Tenderloin with Apple and Bacon Compote instead of the ham and the meatballs. I'll think of something for dessert then, maybe some kind of cheesecake. And the kids will be coming back up for dinner then.

I told her to think of it as two birthday parties. 

hbunny

Super Cat
Purraise
OK, now I'm intrigued....famous peanuts?  Can you share in the recipe threads???

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise

OK, now I'm intrigued....famous peanuts?  Can you share in the recipe threads???
I'll ask him if he'll share how he does them. I have no idea. Rick's parents used to do their own peanuts, too, and they were always so good. Rick has always said he has to talk to his mom about them. We've never made peanuts. If our BIL tells us, we'll tell you! 

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I'll ask him if he'll share how he does them. I have no idea. Rick's parents used to do their own peanuts, too, and they were always so good. Rick has always said he has to talk to his mom about them. We've never made peanuts. If our BIL tells us, we'll tell you! 
I'm guessing that they are roasted peanuts with some kind of seasoning and not boiled ones? If you've never had boiled peanuts (especially spicy ones), you're missing out. They are a staple here in the south. They have the texture of cooked beans (which is what they are, really). I used to think they must be gross when I lived up north but they are SOOOO good. DD disagrees but she is wrong. 

hbunny

Super Cat
Purraise
I love boiled peanuts--but I swell up like a toad frog after I eat them from all the salt!  I could eat a pound by myself!  They now come in cans at the grocery store too....I have to warm those up if I buy those, but they are pretty good too.  The best are at the flea markets, the ones we get in convenience stores are always turning to mush from sitting in the hot brine constantly.

I always buy up quite a few peanuts before the holidays because I make so much peanut brittle, I'd like to do something different this year.  I'm hoping you get the recipe!

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I love boiled peanuts--but I swell up like a toad frog after I eat them from all the salt!  I could eat a pound by myself!  They now come in cans at the grocery store too....I have to warm those up if I buy those, but they are pretty good too.  The best are at the flea markets, the ones we get in convenience stores are always turning to mush from sitting in the hot brine constantly.

I always buy up quite a few peanuts before the holidays because I make so much peanut brittle, I'd like to do something different this year.  I'm hoping you get the recipe!
I have a can of BBQ ones in my pantry. I usually get them from crock pots at the gas station though. Yeah, I could too. If you make them yourself, you can control the salt content and then eat more! 

Primula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

You are a force of nature! I know what I would do - go to a very nice restaurant!