Birth control for cats: Megestrol Acetate - Alley Cat Allies

tnrmakessense

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Because COVID-19 has limited the number of surgeries performed in veterinary clinics and animal shelters, Alley Cat Allies now supports the short term use of low dose Megestrol Acetate in cats to prevent pregnancy. Their policy statement is available on their site.

The Alliance for Contraception in Cats and Dogs offers research and guidance to pet owners, feral cat caretakers and shelter and veterinary professionals on their website.

MA is still prescription only in the United States. Even though the FDA has said that it will not enforce the in-person requirement of the veterinary visit for prescriptions, every state has different laws regarding the televisit.

Nonovulin, the MA product available in Europe that I use has been available through EBAY from Bulgarian sellers, though not at this moment. I did find another highly rated EBAY seller in another country. Please remember that the box recommendation for Nonovulin dosage is MUCH HIGHER than the ACC&D is recommending which is still higher than the dosage I have been giving for the last two years to a feral colony. There have been no pregnancies or births during this time.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Because COVID-19 has limited the number of surgeries performed in veterinary clinics and animal shelters, Alley Cat Allies now supports the short term use of low dose Megestrol Acetate in cats to prevent pregnancy. Their policy statement is available on their site.

The Alliance for Contraception in Cats and Dogs offers research and guidance to pet owners, feral cat caretakers and shelter and veterinary professionals on their website.

MA is still prescription only in the United States. Even though the FDA has said that it will not enforce the in-person requirement of the veterinary visit for prescriptions, every state has different laws regarding the televisit.

Nonovulin, the MA product available in Europe that I use has been available through EBAY from Bulgarian sellers, though not at this moment. I did find another highly rated EBAY seller in another country. Please remember that the box recommendation for Nonovulin dosage is MUCH HIGHER than the ACC&D is recommending which is still higher than the dosage I have been giving for the last two years to a feral colony. There have been no pregnancies or births during this time.
THANK YOU for posting this, tnrmakessense tnrmakessense and I've been posting daily on twitter that it is endorsed by the ASPCA as well.

35 year catdad

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Gosh the could have saved us hundreds in spay/neuter fees and hours driving the cats to surgery etc Wish I knew last year about this.
I just trapped and rehomed 18 since oct 16th last year 2021

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Gosh the could have saved us hundreds in spay/neuter fees and hours driving the cats to surgery etc Wish I knew last year about this.
It's not meant to be a permanent solution, just to minimize pregnancies until the cats can be spayed. It has to be dosed daily and specially formulated, so it doesn't really save any time and/or trouble either. Just a stopgap measure for when things are tough.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
THANK YOU so very much, 35 year catdad 35 year catdad for putting your caring into action on behalf of these cats! You're a hero in my book. Suggesting that you, and everyone you know who works/advocates for cats, sign on to Alley Cat Allies' listserv and ACC&D's as well. I've been on these for years and they are excellent resources.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tnrmakessense

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It's not meant to be a permanent solution, just to minimize pregnancies until the cats can be spayed. It has to be dosed daily and specially formulated, so it doesn't really save any time and/or trouble either. Just a stopgap measure for when things are tough.
It's dosed weekly, not daily, if you use the chart most caretakers use. But I agree, it's not a permanent solution.

35 year catdad

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes I read about it in Alley Cat Allies latest flyer.
It would have been great last year temp. use during the time I could not go TNR 22 cats as my 19 yr old Tortie was very sick, and I was her live-in ICU nurse who gave her 40 sub Q infusions.

35 year catdad

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
THANK YOU so very much, 35 year catdad 35 year catdad for putting your caring into action on behalf of these cats! You're a hero in my book. Suggesting that you, and everyone you know who works/advocates for cats, sign on to Alley Cat Allies' listserv and ACC&D's as well. I've been on these for years and they are excellent resources.
One of the ferals looks just like your Elvis! Striper loves everybody and I had to keep him! I've also been an Alley Cat Ally for about 20 yrs now.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One of the ferals looks just like your Elvis! Striper loves everybody and I had to keep him! I've also been an Alley Cat Ally for about 20 yrs now.
Our beloved angel Moti got sub-Q when she was diagnosed with CRF. We got 7 mainly good months and she went easy.
My heartfelt condolences for your loss. I hope you also know that you will reunite in due time! and that she is watching over you from the Bridge, very approving of everything you do for cats.
Yeah, I was probably one of their first members. And definitely a life member.