Birman or Ragdoll?

talilot

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, I have 4 dogs at home, and I would really love to add a kitten to our household. Right now I'm hesitating between a Birman & a Ragdoll - which do you think is better for us? (my dogs are a labrador, a cavalier & 2 small mixed breeds). I also have a 9 year old child, who has grown up with pets all his life. Thanks in advance!

p3 and the king

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a Birman, she is a sweetheart!!  Very loving and sweet.  Smart, too.  However, I think a Ragdoll gets a little bigger and would probably endure children better?  So I would say Ragdoll if you have young kids.  But, if your child is older and respectful of animals, a Birman is an excellent choice, too.  I think it depends more on which you fall in love with and bond with first.

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Both have very fine fur which I find gets up my nose and makes me sneeze, both need regular grooming.  Personally I'd suggest a short-hair cat as they don't need anything like as much time grooming.  Whatever you get, get it from a reputable breeder who keeps dogs as well, so it knows how to behave with them. 

A usually phlegmatic short-hair breed would be a British Shorthair (or American Shorthair), a more energetic and often very loving breed is Burmese, and Orientals and Siamese are usually totally OTT.  The last two need no grooming - they have a lovely short fine fur and just need stroking.

Suggest you contact some breeders, talk on the phone and if it seems worthwhile then meet them, see their cats and find out what care their coats need.  A good breeder won't mind spending some time with you to make sure you are the sort of person and home they'd be happy for one of their kittens to go to.  If you live in the UK most genuine breeders (e.g. not BYB types) are registered with the GCCF.

Of course a rescue cat is a great alternative.  In the UK there are the RSPCA (SSPCA in Scotland) and Cats Protection, plus many much smaller rescues, and there are always cats and kittens needing homes.  However they do want to check you out first as the last thing they want is to rehome an animal and find it coming back a few weeks later...

Finally - please consider two kittens rather than one.  They usually settle in much better, and burn up masses of energy playing.  Once you've seen how much energy you will understand why kittens (especially ones with Siamese-type personalities) can be so demanding.  It's also incredibly entertaining watching them play.

p3 and the king

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Both have very fine fur which I find gets up my nose and makes me sneeze, both need regular grooming. 
That is not true.  Birmans hair may be fine but it is satiny and does not mat.  My Birman does not require regular grooming.  I just do so every week or so to keep the shedding down.   I can't speak for Ragdolls but Birmans though longer haired do not require a lot of grooming.

fiberist

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I had the same thoughts you did before I got my Birmans.  For me, it was the perfect choice. Unlike other long-hairs, these shed minimally. They love to be groomed and need to brushed once a week (good bonding time).

Mine have since passed, and I'd love another one ... if anyone knows a rescue Birman, I'm in need of one!

khin mya

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well I think you can choose either of them. Birmans and Ragdolls are very simmilar (please spell it for me) only differens is size and the colors :-)

I have both a Cavalier and a Chihuahua, and 10 Birmans + 2 Maine Coon kittens all living here in my house.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well I think you can choose either of them. Birmans and Ragdolls are very simmilar (please spell it for me) only differens is size and the colors :-)

I have both a Cavalier and a Chihuahua, and 10 Birmans + 2 Maine Coon kittens all living here in my house.
I saw your site.... They do look very similar - I have a seal lynx ragdoll.... Lucky, and she looks a lot like a seal lynx Birman... :) Bugsy Looks different - I would guess Male Ragdolls are Bigger - he is massive, and has a bigger face too.... He is just huge in general.....

rafm

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
We had a tiny Ragdoll, 8 lbs at her heaviest. Her coat was very fine and fluffy and did not matte, until she got sick. She had a beautiful personality, very loyal to my DH. 

She also did very well with our dogs, never had a problem with any of them. 

lionhearts

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have both Birman and Ragdoll, they are brother and sister.  Bleu and Izzabel.  Bleu is blue lynx Birman and Izzabel is blue lynx Ragdoll.  I love them both.  They are extreemly lovable and playful.  The are both very smart.

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ditto on the "get two kittens!" advice. I don't think either one of those breeds would be a bad choice. A pair of rescue kittens wouldn't be a bad choice, either.

See if you can adopt a pair of kittens that are a little older-maybe four or five months, and socialized with dogs as youngsters. That way, your dog- and kid-filled household won't be too much for them.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Though this thread is weeks and old and OP likely won't return.....
That is not true.  Birmans hair may be fine but it is satiny and does not mat.  My Birman does not require regular grooming.  I just do so every week or so to keep the shedding down.   I can't speak for Ragdolls but Birmans though longer haired do not require a lot of grooming.
That depends on the lines, some have coats that do require grooming. You'd need to talk to the breeder about what sort of coats her cats produce. 

Between the 2 breeds I much prefer the Birman look and temperament.

lunahimmydoll

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I don't know much about Birmans. My kitten is half Ragdoll, half Himalayan. I think Ragdolls are supposed to have an affinity with dogs. The whole idea of a cat having an affinity with a dog is still a bit hard for me to process after my Golden Retriever killed my domestic shorthair kitten when I was six years old (nearly 20 years ago now). But that's what they say anyway. 

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My kitten is half Ragdoll, half Himalayan. 
It's unfortunate that BYB's will cross breed, so often without the health testing too.

So sorry your childhood cat met such an ending. 

Last edited: