Big Size Difference In Kittens

laughingduck

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yesterday I brought home a foster cat and 7 kittens. Her kittens are quite different in size. 4 are quite large (13oz or so) and three are quite a bit smaller (6-7 oz). The smaller ones also seem a bit behind developmentally. I was curious to know if the smaller cats are going to stay smaller, or if it is possible they were different gestational ages? I know more than one father can sire a litter, could there be a big gap between times when the female gets pregnant? They appear to be from the same father though as they all look similar. What would be an average size for 30 day old kittens?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
How old are the kittens? Are you sure they are all from the same litter? Ask the shelter.

Kittens should weigh 4 ounces at one week; 8 ounces at 2 weeks; 12 ounces at 3 weeks; and about a pound at 4 weeks. They should continue to gain about a pound a month thereafter for the next 6 months.

However, males are typically larger than females, and as you suggested, this litter could have different conception dates.

One of my male kittens was the runt of the litter though, and is now the biggest of a litter of four at 3 years old. He’s HUGE!

The most important thing is that all are eating well and gaining steadily for their own frame and age. :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

laughingduck

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
They are 30 days old and are all from the same litter. Is there a percentage per day they should gain? I ask because in one day the bigger cats gained 40g and the runt gained only 9g. The two females are actually amongst the biggest!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The rule of thumb is 6-10 grams per day, so your runt is doing okay.

Perhaps they will all do even better now that they are in a private home with you! :)

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Feel free to offer supplemental formula feedings to the smaller kittens if they will take it. It would help them out!

laughingduck

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks! That makes me feel better. I guess the bigger ones are just porkers. They are one cNned cT food now, do they still need formula too?

laughingduck

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That was supposed to say canned cat food, sorry I dont know how to edit posts!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Offer the bigger kittens formula to lap from a dish. They will benefit from the calcium.

Mom might like some too. Is she skinny? A former stray? It will only help mom too!

laughingduck

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Mom came in as an abuse case. She is very friendly. It is hard to tell about weight, her back end seems a little thin but she has a belly but that could just be leftover from the pregnancy and nursing. She is eating lots though! I will pick up some kitten formula for them tomorrow, it can’t hurt!