Big eater but thin.

topypopy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Introduction.

Greetings all I have just joined up and look forward to reading some interesting posts, we have always had Siamese Cats but now have 3 Cats that just decided to come and live with us they are the black and white variety that I don’t know the proper name of but they must be one of the most prolific in the Cat world.

I have a problem or query with one of them a female of about 6-7 years she eats quite a lot but does not put any weight on, you can feel her bones when you stroke her, she has a good thick coat and is fastidious with cleaning it, we have wormed her twice in the last 8-9 months but it made no difference, she is as active as the other two but just small and not much meat on her, of course she could just be a small, thin cat does this ring a bell with anyone?

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Introduction.

Greetings all I have just joined up and look forward to reading some interesting posts, we have always had Siamese Cats but now have 3 Cats that just decided to come and live with us they are the black and white variety that I don’t know the proper name of but they must be one of the most prolific in the Cat world.

I have a problem or query with one of them a female of about 6-7 years she eats quite a lot but does not put any weight on, you can feel her bones when you stroke her, she has a good thick coat and is fastidious with cleaning it, we have wormed her twice in the last 8-9 months but it made no difference, she is as active as the other two but just small and not much meat on her, of course she could just be a small, thin cat does this ring a bell with anyone?
She needs a vet visit with lab work performed. There are a number of things that can cause weight loss despite increased appetite: diabetes, kidney disease, thyroid disease, and cancer are a few of the more unsavory diagnoses. Blood and urine can rule in or out a lot of those. But if blood and urine are inconclusive, an ultrasound may be necessary to rule in/rule out lymphoma. None of us can tell you which of those (or something else) she has without a vet visit.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
She needs a vet visit with bloodwork to check for diabetes and thyroid problems. She also may need to be treated for parasites.

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise
Introduction.

Please get her to vet asap
My Snowball was doing same thing
And he crossed the 🌈 Bridge July 8th /2020
1 week before his 12th birthday
The vet did xray looking for pancreatitis
And found he had mass on his lungs
Which that is why I initially took him to vet
He started off loosing weight
Could feel his bones
And then rapid breathing
He passed at vet's office
He was and still is my life
I have his ashes put up for now

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise
She needs a vet visit with lab work performed. There are a number of things that can cause weight loss despite increased appetite: diabetes, kidney disease, thyroid disease, and cancer are a few of the more unsavory diagnoses. Blood and urine can rule in or out a lot of those. But if blood and urine are inconclusive, an ultrasound may be necessary to rule in/rule out lymphoma. None of us can tell you which of those (or something else) she has without a vet visit.
Exactly my baby Snowball has a mass on his lungs
It all happened so sudden

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise
Introduction.

I definitely dont think she's just a small thin cat
You should not be able to feel the bones that well..enough to have noticed it

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Also on the list if nothing else comes up is an absorption issue. Some cats just don't "get the good" from the food that they eat. In most cases, this can be treated.

Listen, there are SO many things that could cause this, from very mild, benign stuff that can be fixed in a minute, to more serious things. Don't drive yourself crazy worrying, but do see a vet ASAP. The sooner you know, the better chance of a good outcome! Hang in there. You aren't alone with this.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Also on the list if nothing else comes up is an absorption issue. Some cats just don't "get the good" from the food that they eat. In most cases, this can be treated.

B12 deficiency. There is a specific blood test the vet has to request when sending the blood sample in to be analyzed. Regular CBC / chem blood work will not analyze for B12 levels.

Aren't Siamese cats naturally thin?

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thank you, LTS3 LTS3 ! Try as I might, I could not find the mental "file" with B12 deficiency in it anywhere! That happens more and more as you get older.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

topypopy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
B12 deficiency. There is a specific blood test the vet has to request when sending the blood sample in to be analyzed. Regular CBC / chem blood work will not analyze for B12 levels.

Aren't Siamese cats naturally thin?
Thanks, yes Siamese don't carry any extra weight, regarding an absorption issue I have had this in mind for a while she has always been a small cat but in all other respects seems normal however a visit to the vets will be quite in order.