Big 5-month old kitten has foot long tail, large paws, and fuzzy fur with broken stripes..

maewkaew

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The big handsome Simba does seem to be getting a sort of Maine Coon-ish look to him.  Of course he's not a longhair so he wouldn't have the ear tufts and  shaggy semi-longhair coat.  but his head is getting a sort of MC look  .   I'm not saying he is definitely part MC.    That would be very hard to say;  the resemblance is not super extreme & may be chance. 

We've  almost talked on here as if red tabby males are their own breed.  but it's just a color.  There are small red boys as well as the large ones.  Maybe people just notice the large ones more  or maybe in certain neighborhoods  it DOES coincide with size because some large red boys have done a lot of mating !    But  really,  a cat with the 0 gene for red pigment can have all sorts of different genes for size and type.  so it's hard to generalize about how long they keep growing.   MOST cats do most of their growth in the first year.  then may grow a bit more in the next year or even next 2  but mostly they fill out - - hopefully in muscle, not fat.  

Looking at the 2nd photo,  it looks like it's possible he's getting a bit chubby.   which might be part of why his head is seeming small compared to his body.

While you don't want to put any cat, let alone a kitten, on a crash diet,  it might be a good idea to just keep an eye on his body condition.    Just like with humans it is best not to let a kid be overweight because if they're an overweight child they're more likely to be an obese adult,  which isn't healthy.    If he is going to be a big cat,  it's best to keep him on the slender side to put less stress on his joints. 

I'm not sure how you are feeding,   but at 7 months he would be fine with 2 meals a day.  he doesn't need to have constant snacks available,  and if he DOES have a bowl of food always there,  he might be overdoing it a little.   If so,  try to encourage some more play sessions with a wand toy instead of recreational snacking.   
   I would feed him mostly grain free wet food.  If he likes dry,  you could turn them into treats and toss one at a time for him to run after.  but limit to just a few pieces a day.

There is an excellent site by the vet with a lot of explanation about feline nutrition.  http://www.catinfo.org

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

themelyssak

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He does look like he may slightly be chunking up, but he's not overweight right now. That second photo isn't very flattering, but I d need to exercise him more. I used to play with him and Nala about an hour or so a day, broken into a few sessions. However, I have not been playing with them for more than 5-10 minutes a days in the past couple months because of college and just forgetting. Nala also has a little chunk to her.

My semester is nearly over and so I'll be playing with them more and that should tone their bodies and trim their fat some. I also noticed that Simba has pretty loose skin. I put my hands on the sides of his body and didn't feel much excess fat but his skin moves a lot when I rub his side or belly. I don't feed them much, as I'm still sleeping when my parents give them food in the morning. I will suggest feeding them a bit less right now. I just hope they listen to me.

themelyssak

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks! I've been making an effort to play with them more and convinced my parents to give them less wet food. The wet food is the cheap crap and I bought them Blue Buffalo dry food. The dry food should help keep Simba's teeth clean. He still has gingivitis but at least it hasn't gotten worse. He's trimmed down a bit and now weighs 9.4 lbs again. His body isn't much bigger than it was last time he was at that weight so he's slimming down a little. I think Nala is, too. I'm going to keep playing with them everyday so they can get their exercise and mental stimulation. In fact, I'm going to play with them for a little bit right now.

simbarosie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You have a beautiful cat. I also have a kitten who is 14 weeks named simba and he also has a huge tail and big paws compared to his sister we also adopted name Rosie. Simbas tail sort of curls. Like it slopes over on his back. He is buff white. His sister is tabby white.

Last edited by a moderator:

simbarosie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Forgot to mention we also adopted these cute little kittens after my 7 1/2 year old cat Mow died. It was very hard for us to lose our Mow. She died from many kidney stones. She had kidney failure. By the way dont ever go to banfield pet hospital at petsmart. They will over test and over charge anyone who bring their ill pet.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks! I've been making an effort to play with them more and convinced my parents to give them less wet food. The wet food is the cheap crap and I bought them Blue Buffalo dry food. The dry food should help keep Simba's teeth clean. He still has gingivitis but at least it hasn't gotten worse. He's trimmed down a bit and now weighs 9.4 lbs again. His body isn't much bigger than it was last time he was at that weight so he's slimming down a little. I think Nala is, too. I'm going to keep playing with them everyday so they can get their exercise and mental stimulation. In fact, I'm going to play with them for a little bit right now.
If you read the website linked to earlier (www.catinfo.org), the vet who wrote it is of the opinion that even cheap canned food is better than expensive dry food, and since dry food is very calorie-dense, canned food is also better for weight control. It's also very important for cats to get enough water, especially males, so go light on the dry food! A few pieces for treats is fine, although dry food doesn't really have any dental benefits, no more than eating crackers is good for a human's teeth ;).

The largest cat I know is an orange tabby male. I don't know how much he weighs (he's just a cat I see on my mail route), but he's huge! And such a handsome boy too. But I've also known very small orange tabby males, so I don't think size is linked to color, probably just chance. Your boy is gorgeous and looks like such a cuddler. Enjoy him! :D

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
He looks pretty normal to me.  But then, our Punkin is a big cat, too.  And, for that matter, I'm convinced somebody slipped a brown panther in here instead of Delly.

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What a handsome boy!  Okay, so I'm getting in on on the "ginger kitty club" too!  
Here's one of him stretched out on my massage table, (where he is NOT supposed to be!  
This one is just hilarious!!! He was sleeping in the chair like this. You can see his stripes &tail here too.

You can really see how long he is here. I measured from his head to the tip of his tail once, & think it was like 22, or 23 inches long!

themelyssak

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Aww, what a beautiful boy! I love the socks. It's funny how he stretches out on his side. That's Simba's favorite way to stretch, especially when he wakes up. It doesn't do that typical bow down and stretch forward one that cats typically do.

I have been trying to play with Simba more and I only give them each a quarter can of wet cat food when I feed them. They eat less often, but since they are still under a year old, we still make sure there is dry food in their bowls at all times. Simba trimmed down a bit and lost about half a pound, then grew more and is now 10.6 pounds. Nala has also grown and is a little over 8 pounds.

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks!  No more dry food for Angel. He had his first UTI in August of 2012, (that's when he also became indoor only). Then 2 episodes of cystitis followed in Oct. & again on Christmas day. That was the last time we went to the hospital. So, after trying everything else,  he finally had to go on RX food to dissolve the crystals in his bladder. I think this month or next will be a year he has been on it. I was relieved on Christmas day, sense it has now been a year w/ no related problems. 

As long as your boy is drinking lots of water, & has had no problems, he will probably be fine, but for the most part, you will find that most people on here do not recommend dry food at all.  (for the same reason).  Angel gets a 1/2 a can for breakfast, & the other 1/2 for dinner. I also continue to add filtered water to his food for extra moisture, ...just to be on the safe side.  Don't want to ever go through that again!   I had to give him IV fluids at home (to flush out the bladder)

& I never want to have to do that to him again. For the most part he was a good boy through it. (& I had to put on my "big girl panties". & be the mommy nurse). 

I also live alone, so had to figure out how to do that by myself. My mom helped a couple of times until I got a system down.

*Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to scare you or anything, it's just good info to have.  I have learned SO MUCH sense I have been on this site, & have gotten LOTS of help & support along the way. 

maxcat08

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My kitty, Cameo, is a red tabby. He's a Fawn colour and weighs 17 pounds...which the Vet said was his normal weight. He has a long tail as well.  He'll be 6 yrs old on his next birthday and really hasn't settled down into being a 'cat'. He's very nosy, bossy, and inquisitive as to what I'm doing. He's got to be 'right there' if a door opens or a sound is made. He definitely wants to be boss, even though he has a 'brother' 3 months older.

He can be very affectionate towards me...and somewhat to his 'brother'. Unfortunately he's taken a great dislike to a spayed female that I took in as a stray over 2 years ago. Even after this length of time being exposed to each other....he will attack her and utter those blood-curdling noises while he does the 'stance' with his back legs apart and extended and the hair on his spine standing up.

Interestingly enough, he has a small head. I adopted him from the local Humane Society so he was already neutered when I brought him home at about 6-8 weeks. I read that when a male is neutered so young, the head may not grow to normal size.  Don't know if this is true....

themelyssak

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Simba's now 10-11 months old and his growth has slowed. He was 11.2-11.6 lbs for about a month but now he's 12.2 lbs as of yesterday. He may look chunky when he lies down, but I assure you, he is in no way overweight. He just has thick limbs and neck, large paws, a broad chest and a big skull. His fur length is also somewhere between short and medium on his body and definitely medium on his tail. The fur near the base of his tail seems to have gotten longer in the last few months. Some of his hairs are squiggly, which means he's retained some of his kitten-like fluffy fuzziness. He has a large nose and mouth, as well a large ears, and his (muzzle?) protrudes from his face more than the typical domestic shorthair that I've seen. He truly looks like he could be a wildcat with how he's built, like how a wolf has a wild look from their broader build, thicker fur, and bigger paws than a similar bodied domestic dog. His fur has also started turning a bit more brown, particularly down his back and on his tail, as well as the bold stripes on his legs and cheeks.

Nala's got a unique look to her face. She has large eyes, and a seemingly short face with a small nose and mouth. Her mouth literally is small. I can pull the corners of Simba's mouth back a bit so I can inspect and brush his pre-molars and parts of his molars, but, with Nala, I can only go as far back and the front of her pre-molars without opening her mouth. She also has a petite build with small paws and a slightly short tail...or maybe it's average and just looks short compared to Simba's. All of her coat is short and it's very smooth and shiny. She is around 8.5 lbs right now.

I know it's impossible to know, but do you see any small resemblances to certain cat breeds with their unique features now that they are approaching adulthood?

Yesterday

January

Here is a side view of Simba's head and face

This one is from January

His highly flexible, extremely long tail, with fur longest at the base.

Nala

Yesterday

Few months ago

Good angles to see the dimensions of her face.

muramcon

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Your babies are so pretty! Nala's face looks a lot like my Amelia's in the bone structure (but different color) When we first got her, the vet said she had a very "Asian" head, which I took to meant some sort of Siamese-esque influence. But I think of my kitties as mutts, or the more normal Domestic Short Hair and Domestic Long Hair (our two boys). Although the boys may have some Maine Coon, they have giant paws with long tufts of fur between all the toes, and hairy "old man ears" (aka, hair growing everywhere in/on their ears).

ahlysha

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
All those orange tabbies are awesome looking. :-)

All my cats are rescues, inherited,or strays.

two of the newest were strays that were most defiantly humanized, and walked up to me.  THey hhad their vets visits, shots, now intergrate so well into the population. VERY loving evey single on of these cats.