Best Ways To Keep A Cat Entertained In A Small Space?

Sketchyeh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello!

My kitty and I recently moved to a new place (my first place on my own), which happens to be a small one bedroom basement suite. It's perfect for me, but I fear that my boy is going to get bored or upset by living in such a small space.

He is used to living in a very small town where he can come and go outside as he pleases, and a three floor home where he can roam when he isn't outside. I have all his favorite toys, his tree to look out one of the two windows, and a laser pointer to get him running around. What toys, in your experience, are best for keeping a cat entertained, or gets them burning off energy?

He's my very best friend, and I can't imagine not having him with me, but this is also the only place I can afford on my own right now. What should I do?

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would make a small space as vertical as possible. You can do this using multiple cat trees, or by putting up shelves or other structures that your cat can climb up on. This makes the space feel larger to them.

Desertmouse

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you for thinking of your furry one. I agree that making some vertical space is going to be one of the biggest things, then you can race he around the selves with the laser! At least you can if he likes the laser unlike my silly girl. Some cats can really get into tv as weird as that sounds. I know a lot of people on the Kitten Academy community talk about how much their cats like watching, and I know there is a dog tv type of program (using the colors dogs see in and sounds and whatnot) for dogs in situations like yours, you might be able to find the same for cats.

Remember though that I am 100% sure he would rather be with you in a small space then without you in a castle ❤

samilinn963

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Go to a craft store and pick up some of those puff ball things people use of kids crafts! They look like cotton balls but can be furry or sparkly and in many different sizes. We call them “pompoms” in my house but you may know them as something else! they are the best cat toy I’ve ever had because they are light as a feather so when my cats hit them, they go flying and the cat can chase it really quickly!! Endless amount of entertainment for the kitties and it’s super cute when they have a cute little puff ball in their mouth!!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to The Cat Site. :wave2: I'm sure your new apartment will seem strange to him at first, but he'll also be with you, so I'm sure he'll quickly adjust.
I think as long as he has access to windows, and a comfy place to sleep, he'll be happy. :purr:

As for toys, the laser pointer definitely gets them running. And lots of people recommend Da Bird, though my Ruby wasn't all that thrilled with it. Other "toys" are milk carton caps, or a paper towel roll cut into smaller rings, or simply a crumbled up piece of foil.

Enjoy your new home. And please post a pic of your boy, if you can. :camera:
How To Add A Picture To Your Forum Post

Etarre

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
If your cat likes to jump and pounce (mine does!) the Cat Dancer is cheap and fun and also will get them moving. It's called the cat dancer because it really does inspire some amazing acrobatics!

Really, any toy can inspire them to run around. My kitty has a million toys, but prefers to steal my socks and run around the apartment with them.

My first cat spent the first four years of her life in a tiny (less than 300 square feet) studio apartment, and seemed very content. She did enjoy climbing up into the loft bed and watching people out the window, and I played with her a lot. As others have said, I think your cat will be happy to be with you, especially since you're taking his needs into account.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Sketchyeh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey guys! Thank you for all your help, and sorry it has taken me so long to respond!

I bought him a huge selection of new toys, and he does enjoy the laser pointer very much! I have also recently gotten him a little brother to keep him company and give him someone to play with and talk to when I work my long 12 hour days. :)

Etarre

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Congrats on your new kitty, and I'm sure that both are well entertained. Please share some pics when you have a chance....

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Awww.... Finn is simply adorable. As is Krueger. :catlove:

lre17

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

my boys love this thing-my boy oscar (who I love but has a lot of energy) plays with it for hours

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Does your basement have a window? If so giving him a window perch and feeding birds outside in the window's line of sight may help. Toy rotation helps as does using vertical space. They sell cat shelves or you can use those ikea shelves that can support 50 pounds or more. You can always add more shelves a little at a time.

:banana1:Congrats on your new place :petcat:

ArchyCat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ping pong balls. Every cat I've had enjoyed playing with them. Light and any cat can send one flying. And they bounce.
Plus the is a scratching pad, round, made with wound cardboard on edge in a plasting ring was a trapped ping pong ball which can roll freely around the pad. My cats also enjoy this a lot, plus it gives them a good place to scratch.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Sketchyeh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
All excellent suggestions!
I have two windows, really only one that the kitties can reach, and Krueger definitely loves it!
The stupid thing though is that I'm not allowed to have any shelves, because of the fact that I'm renting and she doesn't want holes in the walls. I'm looking into alternatives, including more cat trees and even just getting some more varied toys -- like that one suggested above!

Desertmouse

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
One you might want to try now that you have two cats is the space station not only does this have a ball track and scratching pad, it’s awesome because it have holes in it. This means one cat can be inside and one outside and they can “hide and attack” each other. Given the size difference this could be a fun and safe way for them to play without the little one getting hurt. Full disclosure here, I’ve never used this one myself, but I have seen how much the kittens on Kitten Academy love it when a fan sent them one. I saw kittens do what I was just saying, as well as one of the resident cats (adult) inside with kittens attacking through the holes, as well as one of their older kitten foster (I think they were guessing his age between 4 and 6 months) decide it was his new favorite bed and place to be.

As far as looking for shelf alternatives, never understate the wonders of cardboard. It doesn’t have to be anything fancy, you could just get a few boxes and stack them in a fun way. If you’re worried about them being to flimsy you could either fill the boxes or double up the cardboard. If you really want to get crazy you pick up a pallet and use the planks as bridges between boxes!

Last edited:

Purr-fect

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ping pong balls in the bath tub....we call it "pong tub"........one cat loves it.

Recently I started playing videos of birds chirping and flying for my boys. Now I cant turn on my tablet or computer without them sitting in front of it. The vodeos they like the most have birds, squirrels, chipmunks, mice ect darting on and off the screen, with audio. They will watch this for an hour or two at a time.

Get a cat fountain.......a small fountain that bubbles water. Greg practically lies in his fountain and it encourages them to drink mmore water .

Vertical space is very important. Put a cat tree beside the windows so they can see out.

Spend time with them....talk with them....sleep with them. Make yourself part of their world.

Consider taking them outside....on secure harnesses and a lead.