Best way to introduce kittens to adult cats

karmasmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have 4 10 week old kittens and I also have 3 adult cats.  I need to know what is the best way to introduce all of them.  It is starting to get tough having to keep them seperated.  Do I start with one adult and all 4 kittens or do I have all 3 adults and bring out 1 kitten at a time.  What would be the best way to go about this?  I have never had to introduce kittens to adults.  I have always had young adults and only one at a time never 4 at once.  Any advice is greatly appreciated.  Thank you.

rafm

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I've always allowed my adults in, one at a time to spend supervised time with them. I start with our most social kitty, letting them start to form a bond with an adult. Then, bring the others in, again, one at a time to see how they all interact. Every interaction must be closely monitored.

I've had adults that when given their one on one time, sniff the kittens and then go jump up in the windowsill and ignore them completely. Some that follow their every movement and act terrified of them. Some that sniff and run away. I've never had one attack the kittens. Not saying that isn't possible, but well socialized, happy kitties tend to either ignore or be curious.

If you have an generally aggressive kitty, put it in a room by itself and bring one kitten to him. Set the kitten on your lap and allow him to sniff the kitty and judge his reaction. This way, you can easily grab the kitten away from the adult if things begin going sour.

Always give the cats treats during the interaction or immediately after if the adults react positively. This way, the adults begin to see the kittens as a source of good things and will be more accepting.

rafm

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Oh, one thing I forgot. The adults will also begin to teach the kittens cat-manners once they are all out together. This is fine. If a kitten is climbing on a sleeping adult and it smacks the kitten, the kitten learns not to climb on sleeping cats. :lol3: Hissing at a kitten that is trying to bully its way into the adult cat's food dish is just the adults way of telling it to back off.

Before long, you'll be one happy family.