Best Way To Introduce Kittens From Different Litters...

mellerrzz

owned by kitten
Kitten
Purraise
Our sweet baby girl, Mari, was a singleton kitten when we took her in from our backyard.

We really want to get her a playmate since right now we’re home often since I’m off college for the summer and my sisters are also off for the summer, but starting September, we won’t be.

What’s the best way to introduce our hopefully new baby boy, Roo (whose neutered) to Mari?

They are roughly the same age, she’s a bit older although we believe she it going to be of a smaller size, since her mom was small as well.

We ordered a clear playpen so we can put him in, keeping him safe from her but also allowing them to smell and see each other. Would it be best to put the playpen in an area she’s mostly in?

Is there any way their feeding should change? She eats in the kitchen, from her water bowl and food bowl.

For Roo, I know it’s not safe to change his food in one go... how should we go about this?

This is our first time having a kitten - we never thought we’d get two. It’s a bit stressful but I know we can do it.

Thank you in advance.

much love

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
How old is Mari? And how old is Roo? Young kittens generally don't need much of an "introduction", but it can be harder as the kittens get older. Especially for Mari, since she is the resident cat, and Roo will be looked upon as an intruder.

Do you have a room, even a bathroom, where you can put Roo (and his food, water, litter box, etc.) when you first bring him home? That would be the best way to see how Mari reacts to the scent of another cat in her home.

Here's a few TCS articles on cat introductions which should have some tips for you. Good luck. Keep us posted.

How To Introduce A Kitten To An Older Cat
How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide | TheCatSite
Introducing Cats To Cats | TheCatSite
The Multi-cat Household | TheCatSite

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Can't do much better than rubysmama rubysmama on the introductions! She gave you everything I was thinking of! Just remember that you can't go faster than the shyest kitten is willing to go, and all will be well in time. How much time? Depends on the kittens. Could be hours, days, or even a few weeks. But it happens.

As for transitioning to the new food...start out with a mix of one part new to 3 parts old. Feed that for several days until all is normal with eating and digestion, then go half and half, then 3 parts new to one part old, then complete the transition.

flybear

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We introduced our two sisters to our first kitten when the older kitten was maybe - 4-5 months old and the babies were ... barely 8 weeks ( a rescue situation I would normally NOT adopt kittens this young)... Our older kitten was neutered already through the shelter. We put the girls in the bathroom and they could interact under the door - our resident cat showed no aggression ( which as we learned later is just his personality - he likes other cats ... never met a stranger) - and after just one day the babies wanted OUT of that bathroom ... we tried butting a see through gate in between them and then a pop up playyard - but ... Nori had long decided she liked her older brother and Snowball ... well she hissed for a few days when he played too rough but ... they lived happily ever after ... Nori and Turnip are clearly bonded but she also still loves her sister. We had the girls spayed at 12 weeks of age and never had any issues- they are just over a year old and 1.5 years now- they play together and sleep together occasionally - the dynamic between the three is perfect. Turnip can be overbearing ( he was a bottle baby ...) but because there are two other cats tensions are diffused instantly. We tried to foster a single kitten a little while ago and that did not work out well as ... the kitten was young and cried non stop ... and the sisters did not want to have anything to do with him- mostly hisses ... Turnip however ... wanted to play with him and played with him under the door. We returned the baby after just a single day as he needs another kitten with him- poor thing was very distressed. I think with cat and kitten socialization it depends much on their personality and simply if they like each other. All kittens want to play and most are very happy to have company .... Turnip was VERY happy to get two sisters ... he was outright depressed as a single kitten and turned super playful and his behavioral quirks got a lot better with feline company. I would watch the interaction carefully ... do they hiss and spit? How is their body posture ... are the ears back ( not good) - if they seem to get along give it a try ... Do scent exchanges and get a Feliway hormone plug in - that seemed to help with ours ... I strongly believe that cats are social and want other cats around - the issue is that they must LIKE the other cats ... and that ... is rather unpredictable

Libby.

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It's been my experience that kittens do not need much introductions. They see another kitten and their response is "Hey, wanna play?" When Max came into our lives he was around 11 or 12 weeks old. We found him curled up on the air filter under the hood of my husband's car one freezing cold day in December. He was filthy dirty. It took a couple of baths just to get him cleaned up. Once I got him clean and dry I set him up with a litter box and food in the powder room downstairs. It wasn't long before our kitten, Salem (few months older) was playing with Max under the bathroom door. After an all clear from the vet, they bonded and remained bonded until Max passed away about 5 years ago.

Recently (within the last couple of years) I adopted 3 kittens, two were siblings and the third was not. The siblings were about 5 weeks old and the other one was 7. They accepted each other right from the start and are constantly getting into trouble together.

Libby.

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It's been my experience that kittens do not need much introductions. They see another kitten and their response is "Hey, wanna play?" When Max came into our lives he was around 11 or 12 weeks old. We found him curled up on the air filter under the hood of my husband's car one freezing cold day in December. He was filthy dirty. It took a couple of baths just to get him cleaned up. Once I got him clean and dry I set him up with a litter box and food in the powder room downstairs. It wasn't long before our kitten, Salem (few months older) was playing with Max under the bathroom door. After an all clear from the vet, they bonded and remained bonded until Max passed away about 5 years ago.

Recently (within the last couple of years) I adopted 3 kittens, two were siblings and the third was not. The siblings were about 5 weeks old and the other one was 7. They accepted each other right from the start and are constantly getting into trouble together.
That being said, there are some cats that are just happier as being alone, but that doesn't sound like the case with your kitty.