Best Way To Give L-lysine?

encino34

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Both my cats are on 2x 500mg treat tabs daily but half the time refuse to eat them. I've tried putting them in their food and breaking them up but its left behind.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I'm just curious as to why you are giving them that much daily, or TRYING to? The maintenance dose is usually half that. 1000 mg daily is normally when they are having a flare-up.

But on to your question, are you giving them straight L-Lysine, or are there fillers in it? That might make the difference when you use the powder form:dunno: Also, from what I understand, there are different treat...some chewables, some tablets, etc. Also, there is a paste. Maybe there is something in this thread that will help you, since they discuss different brands: Where Do You Buy Your L-Lysine?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

encino34

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sorry they both have a Uri and was told by my vet to do that. The package is orange and each treat is 500mg

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
OK, that makes sense now. But, as I said, there are many different treats, so you might try a different one.

fromthevalley

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
These are a big hit with my cats, and they are the same strength as the ones you currently have:

81Q5y10T9OL._SL1500_.jpg

himawari

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Maybe coat it with crushed PureBites chicken/turkey if they are into that? Or you could try wrapping the treat with shredded boiled chicken?

I wish I could help but I give mine in powder form & just mix it with his food. I think doing that mostly hides the smell of it, and he eats it up with no problem.

Evie's Mommy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
One of my cats has EGC, he won't eat the lysine treats so I mix powdered l-lysine into his wet food.
He gets 1/8 tsp two times a day.
I have the Now Foods brand 1lbs jar for $40

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats liked the Pet Naturals of Vermont lysine treats in the purple bag.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

encino34

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you everyone for your ideas :)

chandler49

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Both my cats are on 2x 500mg treat tabs daily but half the time refuse to eat them. I've tried putting them in their food and breaking them up but its left behind.
I use Duralactin L-Lysine Paste for felines. You can get this from your vet but I buy it from Amazon much cheaper. It comes in a tube that's easy to use. I just squirt it onto a plate and my cat licks it right up. Can also be mixed with food.

Beachcat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat with chronic sneezing, URI problems tolerates lysine powder mixed in his wet food very well, even though he is a picky eater. He does like some brands better than others.