Best Way To Get Rid Of Cat Hair From Air?

drmroth

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What's the best way to get rid of cat hair in the air?

If you recommend a machine, please let me know the brand and name of it.

Thank you

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Can you please elaborate a little more about the problem? I assume it's cat hair that floats in the air? Or is it the presence of an allergen from the cat hair in the air?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

drmroth

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Can you please elaborate a little more about the problem? I assume it's cat hair that floats in the air? Or is it the presence of an allergen from the cat hair in the air?
I'm having a problem with cat hair that floats in the air. I've read some good reviews about Hamilton Beach Trueair Pet Purifier and I'm thinking about trying it but I'm open to other suggestions.

Thank you

mokapi

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Can you take them outside/on a porch (obviously on a leash or s/t) and give them a good grooming every couple of days to help cut down on the amount of available hair? I use an 8$ brush from PetSmart that's been absolute godsend; far, far cheaper than any Furminator and just as, if not more, effective.

I also had to start taking pillowcases and using them to wipe down my fan blades to capture the dust/hair inside the pockets before I vacuum (every. single. time. UGH), and that has helped to some extent.

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure I would ever make a good inventor... but maaaaybe you could periodically let loose several balloons very charged with static electricity in your house or a room in your house, and the floating pet hair will be attracted to it and cling to it. If you "let them loose" and float the balloons near the ceiling, it might keep the kitties entertained, too, seeing the floating balloons!
balloons.gif

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

drmroth

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
IMG_0013.JPG View attachment 186551

Can you take them outside/on a porch (obviously on a leash or s/t) and give them a good grooming every couple of days to help cut down on the amount of available hair? I use an 8$ brush from PetSmart that's been absolute godsend; far, far cheaper than any Furminator and just as, if not more, effective.

I also had to start taking pillowcases and using them to wipe down my fan blades to capture the dust/hair inside the pockets before I vacuum (every. single. time. UGH), and that has helped to some extent.

I brush them just about daily and found the BEST brush! I have the furminator as well as other brushes but the Pet DeShedding brush is incredible. It sells under many different brand names on Amazon so I just bought the one for $10.

We do vacuum, clean fans etc every other week but it's obviously not enough. Probably need to start having it done at least weekly. I have to furry cats

JMJimmy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm having a problem with cat hair that floats in the air. I've read some good reviews about Hamilton Beach Trueair Pet Purifier and I'm thinking about trying it but I'm open to other suggestions.
Realistically these products might clear a brush full of cat hair per month if they're really good. You'd be better off to just increase the number of brushing sessions. I think this review comment sums it up best: "Although there is still a lot of hair, I have noticed that the room feels cleaner and the air is easier to breathe." - a psychosematic response to a desired result or possibly just the fact that the air is being circulated at all helping it feel less "stale" - opening a window would have the same effect though.

Edit: Budget "furminator" - https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/wahl-dog-deshedder/6000034433083
What we use for grooming https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/wahl-grooming-comb/6000040630827

Last edited:

mokapi

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I brush them just about daily and found the BEST brush! I have the furminator as well as other brushes but the Pet DeShedding brush is incredible. It sells under many different brand names on Amazon so I just bought the one for $10.

We do vacuum, clean fans etc every other week but it's obviously not enough. Probably need to start having it done at least weekly. I have to furry cats
OMG, you're lucky to only vacuum every other week. I have two shorthair cats and one shorthair dog, but I also live in a house made purely of dust, and if I don't vacuum every other day, there will be sentient dustbunnies. I would think that increasing the frequency of vacuuming would definitely help, but I'm also a cleaning freak.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
I use a filtrete filter that seems to catch a lot of the cat hair. Besides that regular grooming and vacuuming will also help.

basscat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You could stop the sun from shining in through windows so that you can't see it?
I would think the heat/air unit would move more air than anything, trapping stuff in it's filter.
But, any time you move air (to pull airborne stuff into it), you are creating a disturbance causing things that are not airborne to become airborne.

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
1pcs of HEPA filter
1pcs of Computer fan
1pcs of 12V power supply from old led light strip or something similar
Duct tape

Tape fan to HEPA filter so that fan sucks air trough filter, make it air tight seal between filter and fan, hang it some convenient place and hook power supply to fan, let it run constantly.

That is better working than most so called air purifiers that cost hundreds and it really does clean air, but of course it does work on limited area like one room, bigger rooms and hallways might need two units, more more powerful fan.

HEPA filter cleans air also from particles that are cause of allergy effects, all you need is to have a HEPA filter and get air running trough it.

If buying air cleaner/purifier, stay clear of ozone making things, those are death, get one that has HEPA filter or it is practically same to flush money from toilet, that is at least my experience.

doomsdave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
1pcs of HEPA filter
1pcs of Computer fan
1pcs of 12V power supply from old led light strip or something similar
Duct tape

Tape fan to HEPA filter so that fan sucks air trough filter, make it air tight seal between filter and fan, hang it some convenient place and hook power supply to fan, let it run constantly.

That is better working than most so called air purifiers that cost hundreds and it really does clean air, but of course it does work on limited area like one room, bigger rooms and hallways might need two units, more more powerful fan.

HEPA filter cleans air also from particles that are cause of allergy effects, all you need is to have a HEPA filter and get air running trough it.

If buying air cleaner/purifier, stay clear of ozone making things, those are death, get one that has HEPA filter or it is practically same to flush money from toilet, that is at least my experience.
Where do you get a HEPA filter? Is there any other name for such a thing?

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Where do you get a HEPA filter? Is there any other name for such a thing?
Hardware stores that sell air cleaners and ventilation stuff, some vacuum cleaners have such too.

Great think with those is that indoor air is much better and at least for me there is quite bit of effect from that.

sailon

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
What's the best way to get rid of cat hair in the air?

If you recommend a machine, please let me know the brand and name of it.

Thank you

For the same reason, I got the "Honeywell Small Room HEPA Allergen Remover Air Purifier". I think I paid about $80. It has a prefilter and a HEPA filter, both replaceable. It has 3 settings for Germs, General, and Allergens. I honestly don't think the different settings do anything but increase fan speed, but it does seem to work well. The prefilter is pretty clogged within about a week, and I see far less hair on the coffee table and couch - evidence that it's doing something right. They have larger models for bigger areas.

PS: The unit is reasonable quiet, but the highest fan speed (allergen) can be annoying.

Evie's Mommy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We have the Germ Guardian air purifier on 24/7, it helps with allergies.
I got it on the Wal-Mart website, I think it was around $180 CAD. We're thinking of getting another one for the living room.

JamesCalifornia

Mr.Mom to a house of cats 😇😼
Top Cat
Purraise
~ I just had my AC serviced and talked to the technician about this very subject. He told me to upgrade my filter, change it more often and run the fan to help clean the air . Room air filters also help - HEPA or otherwise .
I usually vacuum daily as well.
~​

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
When I had my furnace installed I chose one with a "constant on" fan option that pulls house air through the furnace filter and dehumidifies it year round. Cat hair in the air and on the floors is pulled to either the air return grills in each room or the furnace filter. I could make pillows out of what collects on both.