Best way to clip nails?

missm

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello,
My cats are very sweet and gentle, but they do not like getting their nails clipped. I try to wait until they are asleep and then do what I can, but it doesn't take long for them to wake up and realize what is going on

Matti only tries to wiggle away and escape, Mourek wants to play with the nail scissors, but Mitsy will sometimes nip and swat/scratch at me.
So, does anybody have a good system for trimming their cats' nails? Any general nail trimming advice?
Thank you!

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats are so used to it that they generally just let me clip their nails, because I do it so often. Sometimes they squirm a bit. If you keep trimming regularly they should get used to it.
If you have trouble you can try wrapping the cat securely in a towel, and just have the paw you're working on outside of the towel (and the cat's head of course.)

Here's a description of this if you need help:
http://www.co.camden.ga.us/DocumentView.aspx?DID=358

naps with cats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
NekoChan's idea of the towel is perfect if they're aggressive with you while clipping.

I have 10 cats and on "nail clipping day, ugh" I get my special little cat clippers all set out, carry each cat one-by-one into the kick-back chair, lay them on their backs with their head towards me and feet towards my feet (all the while talking to them in authentic, soft tones, expressing how brave they are, and how much I love them, and all special words.

I usually start with the front right or left paw, while holding cat around front side so that I can still pet their cheeks with that hand, gently push the pad, letting the nails come out and very carefully clipping each one as fast as I can without cutting into the quick (pink part). However, just in case, I keep some "Kwik-Stop" next to me with a little bowl or glass of water so if there is a bleeder (happened twice), I can get it clean, and get the KwikStop on it quick!! Those nerve-endings on the nails gush!

Then do the same with the rest. The hardest are my Himmy with the long tufts, white paws and white nails - hard to find the nails; oh, and my Radial Hypoplasia guy who has loose, double nails on his front paws, which arms are twisted (birth defect). Have to hold him an entire different way.

You'll do great, but if it's your first time really doing it, I'd ask a vet tech to show you how. It's important for the integrity of the nail that they are cut vertically (bottom to top) so they don't splinter or crack. Trying to cut them from the sides will crack the nails eventually and definitely splinter them.

Easy!! :-D

Warmly,

Julie O'

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

missm

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for your suggestions!

I have been trimming their nails myself since they were kittens, but I never thought of "wrapping" a cat in a towel just for nail trims...I did hear of the towel wrap being used by veterinarians for injections and things, though. I will try it next time

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I trim my cats nails weekly. I try to pick a time when they are quiet and relaxed. In the beginning, there was squirming and I was just patient and gentle and did a few at a time to get them used to it. Since I do this every week, they are now used to the trimmings and all are pretty good about it. It just takes them getting used to having it done and knowing you won't cut them too short and get the quick

-_aj_-

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
flash and sooty just let me clp theirs

smooch i do two ways if we need to do all four paws we wrap him in a towel or if its just his fronts i wait until hes asleep or just waking up, im now that quick sometimes he doesnt fully wake up and will go straight back to sleep

catsallaround

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The ones I get when they are young I start off with treats are fed in the baby position-like a human baby sitting on its butt-legs out and belly showing back against my stomach)
I also give treat do a nail repeat...

I never use cat/dog clippers I use regular human ones(baby for young kittens,nail for most and a few of the bigger ones need toenail clippers.

Trick to that is to turn the nail or your hand(half/half really) sideways and it makes a clean cut. going the other way results in crushed nail/splits.

I even do my 40lb dog codys nails with a toenail clipper.

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah I also use human fingernail clippers rather than pet ones for the cats, I find it easier to use. I also turn the nail sideways when I clip to prevent splitting or splintering.
I've never used human clippers on my dogs before, their nails are way too hard/thick for that, I use the large dog nail clippers for them, or a nail grinder.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

missm

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh, always thought that normal nail clippers for people shouldn't be used for animals...but I can imagine it working.
Feralvr: my cats have never stopped squirming, even after seven years' worth of nail trims - you are lucky with yours

catsallaround: I didn't think of using treats...maybe if I start, my kitties will learn to love nail clipping time

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do Paw Work with them every day until they are used to having their paws touched.

Use treats. Hold cat, give tiny bit of treat (I use mayonaise, just wipe it on the mouth) hold paw and press on it to extend claws, repeat with every paw. On nail trim day just carry it further and trim them.

It can take time of course, but all my cats, even Mazy cat have learned to accept nail trims with this method. Mazy was unsocialized when I adopted her from the shelter 6 years ago. It took 3 years of daily Paw Work before she would allow me to trim her claws at home. I used to have to take her to the groomer every few weeks, and there was only ONE person there whom Mazy would allow to trim her claws, with me doing the holding.

I had to wrap Queen Eva initially, for her first four trims, but by the fifth she allowed it (with much fussing) and now she barely notices.

I still use the mayonaise for incentive and reward. Tiny amounts.