Best Way T Bath A New Kitten

matt1991

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
just found a kitten 2 days ago its been beaten up quite a bit her legs have dried blood it doesnt even have a tail like someone cut it off its so sweet loving too and i saw other cats keep bullying her and she hides n only comes out if i come outside

anyways i brought her inside t keep her safe and she was very greatful loving on me but she smells horrible and i know i can put her under water n a sink and dont have any cat shampoo besides dish soap how should i try to clean her t kill the dirty smell

ArchyCat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
TCS members recommend Dawn dish soap. Many years past I used Johnson & Johnson baby shampoo, the unscented form.

Before you start washing your kitten, make sure the bathroom door is firmly closed. That is just in case the kitten escapes your grasp, she won't be able to escape the bathroom and hide from you.

It really does not take much. When I washed several kittens, to kill fleas, it only took one or two drops, on the back between the shielder blades. First I filled the bathroom sink about two or three inches of very warm, but not hot water. Hold the kitten very firmly in one hand, maybe a half cup of unsoapy water over the kitten, then put one or two drops of soap on the kitten between the shoulder blades. Rub the soap all over the wet kitten until a lather forms. Be careful, the kitten will be struggling. Then rinse the kitten with very warm water until it runs unsoapy. Then use a full size bath towel to dry the kitten as much as possible. Then use a second, dry towel, to make a purrito. I would hold the purrito in my lap until the kitten's fur feels dry.

You might want to then put the kitten in his box/nest with a heating pad on low, withe a couple of dry towels or blanket on top of the heating pad.

Last edited:

ArchyCat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The kitten does need a vet check if you can afford it. You cannot medsfi=orthe injury, and they can probably give the kitten a wash for a small fee.

Good luck with the kitten! Keep us updated on how things are going! Thank you for rescuing this guy!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

matt1991

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
shes a big kitten id say 5 t 6 months? just hope she dont freak outsince she just got t know me

matt1991

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
im wondering why her tail is cut off i know some people do it im curious if a human did it or a animal? i see the mom outside alot the mom has 1 eye and iv been feeding her off n on for 4 months then one day she comes up few days ago she only has the bob tail and has cuts all over her but a super loving sweet cat as soon as i was able t touch her

she would not come to me till i fed her but as soon as i put my hands on her its like she completely trusted me 100% and she wont leave me alone now follows me around like im her mother lol

war&wisdom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
After bathing her, you really need to get her to a vet as soon as possible for a check-up, a deworming, and to ensure she doesn't have an infection from her injury.

You're right that there are several possibilities for what happened to her tail. The vet may have a better idea based on the wound edges, but you also may never know.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There may be someone in the area that enjoys torturing animals, keep your eyes out! One cat with cuts and a missing tail may be a coincidence, but two?
If you don't want to stress her out right now, there are 'wipes' made for cats that would clean her and make her smell better. Or take a wet, warm soapy washcloth and wipe her down, baby shampoo workd well, but you would need to rinse her with another cloth. The blood is most likely from her tail being amputated or her wounds. Bless you for helping her!

war&wisdom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
There may be someone in the area that enjoys torturing animals, keep your eyes out! One cat with cuts and a missing tail may be a coincidence, but two?
If you don't want to stress her out right now, there are 'wipes' made for cats that would clean her and make her smell better. The blood is most likely from her tail being amputated or her wounds. Bless you for helping her!
I believe it's the just kitten who has the severed tail. The mom is missing an eye.

matt1991

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
After bathing her, you really need to get her to a vet as soon as possible for a check-up, a deworming, and to ensure she doesn't have an infection from her injury.

You're right that there are several possibilities for what happened to her tail. The vet may have a better idea based on the wound edges, but you also may never know.

i checked the tail its rounded tbh like someone actually did it and knew what they were doing im going t give her to my brother today or tomorrow i saw her at someones house and i felt so bad for her so i had t take her home i alreayd have 3 boys so i cat bring another cat i can be kicked out of my new house if the landlord finds out i even have them

i kinda think she could be someones pet given how sweet she is her finger nails are cut down to the bone though tons of dirt idk what she did t where she lost her nails

matt1991

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If you don't want to stress her out right now, there are 'wipes' made for cats that would clean her and make her smell better. Or take a wet, warm soapy washcloth and wipe her down, baby shampoo workd well, but you would need to rinse her with another cloth. The blood is most likely from her tail being amputated or her wounds. Bless you for helping her!
no it isnt 2 the mom has her tail but the mom is missing an eyeball. i think it happened in a cat fight. i moved to stay at my moms for 4 months till i could find a house in a certain area and i just got one. anyways when i got t her house i saw a white and black cat long haired maybe and afterweek i see her again and shes missing an eye ball.

but shed never let me get close enough t grab her t take her to a vet or something. so shed just sit outside n wait for me t feed my boys and cry for me t throw her food lol. well this happened for few months. then all sudden 3 days ago i saw a cat who looked just like her at my friends across road. i thought it was her but noticed it was smaller didnt have as long of hair and had both eyes then when it got closer i noticed it didnt have its tail.

it came into the yard at my moms next day n i finally got it t come to me and noticed yeah it had scabs all over her head and her back legs have cuts t where u see dried blood like she stepped into a bear trap or something

so i took her to my new house last night shes really happy cause i saw my boy cats trying t bully her cause she first came up hissing at them but not out of being mean. shes been beaten up before and feels she has to stand her ground she was hiding under a car i left my other 3 cats at my moms house for right now while i have her at my house so they wont fight and gonna try n take her today to my brothers