Best Trap

ParkBaby

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
From your experience, which is the best trap to use for outside kitty who has been trapped years ago?
She is very friendly, but super suspicious of anything that looks like a carrier...trap...
I was thinking of getting a larger trap, around 36" and higher than 12", to camouflage with cardboards. They all love cardboards.
For now the drop trap is out of question, because of the location.
I would like to know your thoughts on it...if anyone has gone through this.
Thank you!

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have only been trapping for two years, but I have trapped a lot of cats in that time. In my experience, even hard to trap cats will go into a trap again. It just takes longer. Let the cat get hungry, miss a meal and then put in her favorite smelly food, like tuna. I leave the empty can outside, so they can lick it and start to crave more. Then you just need a lot of patience. Stay a good distance away, and be disinterested. They can tell when you are anxious and they know something is up. I hope that makes sense. A bigger trap is better, but may not be necessary.

I made a remote control for the trap I use, because there are so many cats that will go in the trap before the cat I am trying to catch. I needed it because the kittens I was trying to catch would not come out when I was close by, so I could not use a string.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ParkBaby

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Surya,

Very useful, thank you so much for all the information and suggestions.
Hope it works...she knows me well, right away senses my anxiety...and keeps distance. When we are relaxed, lots of kisses, petting, belly showing....but no way to get her in the carrier ...
Thank you again, all my best!

kmbishop111

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yes, they definitely sense the anxiety for certain! I've had luck with a wide variety of traps, until it gets down to end of day/cut-off time to get to the clinic. Then, can't trap for anything. So they pick-up on that first and foremost.

ParkBaby

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She is very suspicious after 2 catching attempts.
I am left with the trap option, but not sure.
She runs away when she sees any carrier, so I don't know.
I cannot use drop trap, afraid of net, are there any other ways?

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had a hard time catching a cat that had mange. I borrowed a large dog kennel and tied a rope on the door. I put a bunch of food inside, so the other cats would go in and eat and leave. When she went in there, I pulled the rope on the door and got her. Since it was bigger, she wasn't as nervous about going in it. They also feel safer when the see other cats going in and out. Even though they see other cats being trapped or they have been trapped before, they have short memories. In a week or two they get over being scared and you can get them.

coffee grinder

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I agree with Surya that it takes patience. I was able to re-trap by wiring the trap open, feeding closer & closer to the open trap every day, then feeding progressively further inside the open trap over a series of days & then finally setting the trap once he was comfortable eating inside it with the door wired open. I also used the dog crate approach and fed treats closer & closer to the crate until he was comfortable eating treats inside the crate, then quick door slam & off to the vet. It may take a week or more to get your friend used to being around the trap or crate.

chaucer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have rescued three cats from my neighborhood in the past four years. I don't recommend this for everyone's situation, but it has worked for me. I used a dog crate to catch mine. Granted, this takes quite a while - my most recent in my profile picture took two years, but my technique is to befriend them, get them to trust me, and then catch them. It makes for a less traumatizing experience for them when there isn't a trap that actually snaps shut, and prevents those failed attempts that scare them further. I want to add that this last one did get in the crate once, I got the door closed, but it didn't latch completely and he got out, so it took quite a while to regain that trust. I kept the crate covered, warm, and "bed-like" but it still did not help much with this cat until yesterday. He walked in the crate yesterday morning for some tuna, I closed the door and he sat there. I guess he decided it was time. I put the crate in the car, took right over to the vet and he had "the works" including antibiotic shot and anti-inflammatory shot for his wounds. He had a standing appointment at my vet whenever I could bring him in.

ParkBaby

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I had a hard time catching a cat that had mange. I borrowed a large dog kennel and tied a rope on the door. I put a bunch of food inside, so the other cats would go in and eat and leave. When she went in there, I pulled the rope on the door and got her. Since it was bigger, she wasn't as nervous about going in it. They also feel safer when the see other cats going in and out. Even though they see other cats being trapped or they have been trapped before, they have short memories. In a week or two they get over being scared and you can get them.
Surya,
Thank you, this is encouraging!
I wish I could leave the carrier where she is, with no door....for a few days...maybe she will get used.
Need to get her ASAP, because a nice home with kind people wait for her. Second, we have an insane woman interfering in this rehoming project, coming at 5:00am to feed her...so when I come ag 7:00am, she is not hungry ...how can I trap her?
She still comes to greet me, I hug her, pet her...bud she watches my hands...
Set over cage won't work either.
Do I have the most difficult to catch girl?
I took care of her for 8 years ...

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You said she is super friendly. Do you think you could scruff her and put her into the carrier? That's what I do with tamish cats that I can pet. If you do this, make sure you get a real good grip and have the carrier with the door open, where you can just drop her in and shut the door quickly.

ParkBaby

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have rescued three cats from my neighborhood in the past four years. I don't recommend this for everyone's situation, but it has worked for me. I used a dog crate to catch mine. Granted, this takes quite a while - my most recent in my profile picture took two years, but my technique is to befriend them, get them to trust me, and then catch them. It makes for a less traumatizing experience for them when there isn't a trap that actually snaps shut, and prevents those failed attempts that scare them further. I want to add that this last one did get in the crate once, I got the door closed, but it didn't latch completely and he got out, so it took quite a while to regain that trust. I kept the crate covered, warm, and "bed-like" but it still did not help much with this cat until yesterday. He walked in the crate yesterday morning for some tuna, I closed the door and he sat there. I guess he decided it was time. I put the crate in the car, took right over to the vet and he had "the works" including antibiotic shot and anti-inflammatory shot for his wounds. He had a standing appointment at my vet whenever I could bring him in.
You are right, takes time!
We don't have too much, unfortunately...the girl lives in a park, lots of people...cannot leave the crate or trap...someone might take it.
She trusts us but not 100%.
The park people will soon cut all the bushes in front of her shelter...so we cannot wait too long.
It was very cold here, my mind was focused on keeping her warm...and protecting from a mentally sick woman, who puts something in her food...pretending it was ...Lysine.
Cannot grab her, we tried twice.
Thank you for your good suggestions!

ParkBaby

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You said she is super friendly. Do you think you could scruff her and put her into the carrier? That's what I do with tamish cats that I can pet. If you do this, make sure you get a real good grip and have the carrier with the door open, where you can just drop her in and shut the door quickly.
I never did it....not sure I would be able.
She avoids us when she sees the carrier...

ParkBaby

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I agree with Surya that it takes patience. I was able to re-trap by wiring the trap open, feeding closer & closer to the open trap every day, then feeding progressively further inside the open trap over a series of days & then finally setting the trap once he was comfortable eating inside it with the door wired open. I also used the dog crate approach and fed treats closer & closer to the crate until he was comfortable eating treats inside the crate, then quick door slam & off to the vet. It may take a week or more to get your friend used to being around the trap or crate.
You are right.
I retrapped a sweet kitty within a week, but she was not aware I wanted to trap her...
This girl is super cautious..

trudy1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
If she will let you touch and handle her I would still try to grab her by the scruff of the neck. If you are unsure find a shelter or vet that will let you practice on a few tamer cats. Confidence is the key here ...both for you and for the way the cat can sense your mental state before you act.
But with a little practice you can do it. If a carrier makes it cautious try a blanket bag ( blanket with three sides sewn shut. Once the cat is in you can just drop it into the carrier.

ParkBaby

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I will ask again someone, he could do it....because she loves him and she comes on his laps.
But I want also to try what you said, Trudy...to learn myself how to do it.
Though I would hate to hurt her...
And her neck is quite thin...
Shelters here are not very accessible from this point of view, but I will ask a volunteer.
Thank you very much for your thoughts!

ParkBaby

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Amazing work, congratulations!
Did you have to bring over the crate each time you fed him?
Thank you!

trudy1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Remember, you don’t grab their neck you grab that tuff of loose skin just behind the neck. Have you ever watched a momma carry her kittens? She grabs them by that loose skin just behind their neck. Even the wildest kitten just goes limp! Now when you do it they will relax somewhat, but not like momma was doing it. They will struggle and you need to support those back feet.
Practice after being shown the correct way...it will work.

Keep the faith!

ParkBaby

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Remember, you don’t grab their neck you grab that tuff of loose skin just behind the neck. Have you ever watched a momma carry her kittens? She grabs them by that loose skin just behind their neck. Even the wildest kitten just goes limp! Now when you do it they will relax somewhat, but not like momma was doing it. They will struggle and you need to support those back feet.
Practice after being shown the correct way...it will work.

Keep the faith!
Thank you very much, highly appreciated.
Best regards!

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Scruffing is unpleasant for the cat, but you do it very quickly, put the cage in a position where you can just drop them in it, on the side unless it is a top load cage. You could quietly bring the cage close to where you feed the cat behind a bush perhaps (so the kitty doesn't see it). Have the door of the carrier open. Then lure the cat over by opening a can of food and letting the kitty smell it. Then pet the cat. grab all the loose skin you can on the neck, close to the cats ears. Support her back paws, drop her in the trap and close the door quickly. Even though it is unpleasant, because it is so quick, It is not that traumatic.

ParkBaby

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Scruffing is unpleasant for the cat, but you do it very quickly, put the cage in a position where you can just drop them in it, on the side unless it is a top load cage. You could quietly bring the cage close to where you feed the cat behind a bush perhaps (so the kitty doesn't see it). Have the door of the carrier open. Then lure the cat over by opening a can of food and letting the kitty smell it. Then pet the cat. grab all the loose skin you can on the neck, close to the cats ears. Support her back paws, drop her in the trap and close the door quickly. Even though it is unpleasant, because it is so quick, It is not that traumatic.
Thank you so much!!!
So difficult...but I will learn.
All my best!