Best Toys For A 4 Month Old Kitten?

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I am unfamiliar with main coons. Full grown, is she too heavy for a high cat tower to run up and down?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My kittens like the
string with feathers at the end. Plastic bottle caps, boxes, and quarters lol
Aaah! I forgot about bottle caps.
As for the string and feathers, that will be for playtime with us. I'm looking for things she can play with alone overnight in her "safe room" to keep her occupied that first week or so before we introduce her to Cocoabean. Once that's done, I'm sure they will (hopefully!) take care of amusing each other while we sleep:p

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aaah! I forgot about bottle caps.
As for the string and feathers, that will be for playtime with us. I'm looking for things she can play with alone overnight in her "safe room" to keep her occupied that first week or so before we introduce her to Cocoabean. Once that's done, I'm sure they will (hopefully!) take care of amusing each other while we sleep:p
If you're specifically looking for "amuse yourself" toys try the rings from plastic jugs, and the cardboard inserts from toilet paper/paper towel rolls.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If you're specifically looking for "amuse yourself" toys try the rings from plastic jugs, and the cardboard inserts from toilet paper/paper towel rolls.
We certainly have those in unlimited supply LOL

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
"Amuse yourself" toys that have worked for me are plastic "crinkly" balls. Also good have been ping pong balls thrown in the shower or bathtub, and toilet paper or paper towel cores. All are cheap and there's no problem if they get lost. Crinkly balls are about a buck apiece at the store. Ping pong balls are maybe, $2.00 for a half-dozen and the TP/towel cores are for nothing. In addition, the cores work well as a treat puzzle. fold the ends down with a treat or two inside.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am unfamiliar with main coons. Full grown, is she too heavy for a high cat tower to run up and down?
I think she'll be ok with them, it's just a matter of finding one with large landing platforms and a sturdy post.

The females tend to be a bit smaller than males and frequently, the males don't get as large as the ones you see online - many of those are way too overweight. Average weight for a male is 18 pounds, female around 13 although of course, they can be heavier but the ones you see that are like 30 pounders are out of the norm.

That really isn't any larger than the cats we've already had - our domestic short hair boy that passed earlier this year was 16 pounds at his high and our girl is currently 13 pounds. Both haven't had any trouble climbing up onto anything we've had here, although, we've never purchased very high cat tree, we prefer medium sized ones for ease of cleaning and visuals too. Plus, they get more expensive the bigger they are also - and we're not fans of the carpeted ones so the more modern types we like really are too much money if very tall.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Oliver doesn't have a tower but whenever he jumps up or down onto something, there's a lot of weight landing on that article.
As sturdy a tower as possible I'd say.
I put a 25pd dumbbell under my small tower that's a little wobbly

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I think she'll be ok with them, it's just a matter of finding one with large landing platforms and a sturdy post.

The females tend to be a bit smaller than males and frequently, the males don't get as large as the ones you see online - many of those are way too overweight. Average weight for a male is 18 pounds, female around 13 although of course, they can be heavier but the ones you see that are like 30 pounders are out of the norm.

That really isn't any larger than the cats we've already had - our domestic short hair boy that passed earlier this year was 16 pounds at his high and our girl is currently 13 pounds. Both haven't had any trouble climbing up onto anything we've had here, although, we've never purchased very high cat tree, we prefer medium sized ones for ease of cleaning and visuals too. Plus, they get more expensive the bigger they are also - and we're not fans of the carpeted ones so the more modern types we like really are too much money if very tall.
I was thinking about the big photos you see online.

Rhall

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We have lots of crinkle balls, coiled springs, tents, cubes (a lot can be found at the dollar store!), feather wands , tunnels and a foil ball works great too! They do love the cat tree and of course a box or gift bag is fun! All my cats have enjoyed the cat dancer - simple toy but they all love it. We also have a corrugated scratcher lounger for scratching.

HUDSONPAT

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I suggest, nothing with a string or cord attached (unless you are there to work it).

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh yeah, the "noisy bottle" is good and cheap, too. My cats kept taking a bottle of Tums off the night stand and played with it at night until I got them something else. It's definitely better when put in the living room, though...

ArchyCat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I must agree with the Witch! Another 4 month old kitten!

But, seriously, ping-pong balls work like a champ. Even on carpet.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I must agree with the Witch! Another 4 month old kitten!

But, seriously, ping-pong balls work like a champ. Even on carpet.
Yea yea yea but nope :p She's going to have to make due with the 10 year old who thankfully still has the energy of a kitten (most of the time).

I will, however, purchase some ping pong balls since so many have suggested them!