Best Time To Let Go Of My Rescue Kittens

Yazizi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone.
I had in December last year rescued a pregnant cat from a car park. She went on to give birth to 3 beautiful kitties Pecan, Peanut and Patches on 11 jan 2017. After caring for them for 2 months Pecan and peanut were ready to go to their new homes on 8 April. Unfortunately one day before leaving peanut fell sick. I consulted 3 different vets and he was diagnosed with FIP. After much crying and falling sick (me!) I have decided to give peanut his best remaining days at home. Meanwhile the adopter has agreed to take Pecan and Patches this Saturday, 15 April. On one hand my heart is breaking to see these two go and on the other I feel so sad for peanut. Although he doesn't play due to his illness he likes to sit and watch his brother and sister run around. Once the two go the mother and peanut will be all alone. I can't bear the thought of this. I dont know if I'm finding a reason to not let go. I can't keep all I know but letting go is so difficult. What should I do. Should I keep them for peanut and only put them up for adoption after peanut recovers (I know that is highly unlikely but let me hang on to some hope here) or let them go now to live their lives with their new family. They don't have the best life here. Although I provide food and shelter and love them to bits, I am not ard a lot to give them the attention they deserve. Would love to receive some direction as no one in my social group do rescue and rehoming of animals. Sorry if I seem to be rambling but I'm so distraught since finding abt peanut and deciding what's my next best action.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would let the two kittens go to their new forever homes. It's kitten season and since you have found adopters, I'd be happy for the kits. They will be much harder to adopt out as they get older.

Sorry to hear about Peanut. :(

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Let them find their own happiness, they deserve it, mama will watch over Peanut. They will both cry and miss them for about a week, but will recover. Just love that little boy as much and as long as you can. you never know. You will be blessed for your compassion, it will be hard, but it may be years away. Did you have mama tested? she may be the carrier. Just heap lots of love on both, they are extremely lucky to have you.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Yazizi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks so much for your reply. I was quite lost as what to do. I agree it is best to let them go and live their lives. But that brings me to my second dilemma. When i found Yaz i had no place to put her up. My resident cat (Lily) is not the friendly type (she licked herself bald with the last stray i picked up). So i put Yaz and her kitties in an empty apartment. The apartment is fully furnished with a cat tree and plenty of toys. I visit them a couple of hours a day but generally they are alone. It is not the best life for them but i was trying to do my best thinking it was a temporary situation. I have put up Yaz for adoption and have had no takers yet. Now with her babies gone, im afraid she is going to be all alone. I thought of trying to introduce her to my resident cat but now I'm afraid she may be a carrier of the FCoV virus and given Lily's (my cat) temperament she would be stressed which may trigger the FIP (if transmitted by Yaz to her).

Im considering if I should i keep Patches (one of her babies) with Yaz so that they can be together. I dont know if this is the best solution. Two miserable cats as opposed to one and me juggling my home, a full time job and taking care of the kitty family. Or do i give up Pecan and Patches to their new home and take the risk and introduce Yaz to my resident cat. I cant bear the thought of anything happening to Lily though. Im sorry i may be all over the place. the grief of Peanut with FIP, the stress of Yaz staying alone and the dilemma of giving up Pecan and Patches is making me a mad woman. I cant concentrate on my work and my mind keeps wandering during meetings!! I dont know if im overthinking my situation. Any advice is most welcome. Please do give me your thoughts. The adopter wants the kitties by Sunday so i need to decide if Patches goes or stays.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd let Pecan and Patches go to their new home together. They are used to each other and will keep each other company their whole lives. Having adopters willing to take two kittens is a godsend for the kits.

Can you have Yaz tested for disease? Has she had her immunizations? Is Lily up to date? I understand not wanting to bring a disease-carrying cat in with your resident cat, but if she's clear then that would ease your mind. Once the cats are up to date on shots, you could see if Yaz and Lilly will coexist peacefully or not.

Are you having to pay rent on the "cat apartment"? If it's an option to keep the separate apartment and you don't think Yaz and Lily will get along, then that seems like an "ok" temporary setup until someone adopts Yaz.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Yazizi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
After much thought I'm letting Pecan and patches go live their lives. I feel if I don't let go, I'm going to rob them a chance of their own family. And you are right. Getting someone to adopt both is heaven sent. I'm also going to get Yaz tested. The apartment is mine so Im not incurring additional costs keeping it. If all goes well I hope I can take Yaz to my own place in a few mths. She had been up for adoption a couple of mths. I'm starting to feel no one wants her. Just the running ard is driving me nuts. But the joy of helping them keeps me going.