Best time for a second cat

Alexus

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello :catman:

I hope this is the right forum for this ....

For the past three weeks I've had my little guy (3month old ragdoll / birman mix). So far he's a single cat, simply for the reason that I've never had a cat, and I felt like I'd be too overwhelmed to take care of two cats from the start. I'd rather take it slow than be overwhelmed and regret it. I've gotten a huge shit storm for that decision from my 'friends', but I stand by it. I've now gotten used to the routine of having a cat (litter, feed, play, sleep, cuddles etc).

Three weeks in and I am confident that I can handle a second cat, and I know it'll be beneficial for him, too. He's been a good kitten so far. He's chill and loves to sit on my lap for the cuddles and scratches. And he talks a lot ;)
But I know in the long run he could get lonely, especially when I am hopefully back to work in February.

So when would be the best time to get one? Is it okay to wait 'til the next year? Getting a new cat over the hectic holidays wouldn't be the best idea I guess.
Is there a certain breed I should avoid? I know bengal cats can be pretty active and as ragdolls are generally more relaxed, they would clash I'm afraid.

Should I watch out for certain character traits from him before deciding on another cat? Is it a problem that he keeps curling up on my lap when the new cat moves in? I've heard there can be some jealousy if one cat gets more attention than the other.

I've found a little guy who was born only one month earlier than my kitten. But in the description (a shelter) it says that he's still a bit scared and only gets confident and forgets about it when he's happy about food being served. Would a slightly scared kitten be an okay fit for mine? Maybe mine could teach him not to be scared?

I've got so many questions, sorry :dizzycat:

~ Alexus & Lotor

PaulinPilsen

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi Lexus!

Congratulations on getting a cat for a pet. If you raise Lotor right and with gentle love, your new baby will become such a beautiful friend. I have two cats. Lisi came about 3 weeks before Luna. My fear was not about taking care of two cats, but how well the cats will get along! You see, unlike dogs, cats are not “pack” animals. They form friendships for sure, but there are many cats that prefer their solitude. So, when I got Luna, it was a risk that the two cats would get along. Fortunately, I think they have a “Frienemy” relationship. They tolerate eachother, sometimes I think they even LIKE eachother, but love eachother? Well, that’s a stretch, I think. But they get along! They have their rules with each other that only cats can understand, and I can only be glad of that.

The key is to introduce cats slowly with eachother. When you decide on a cat that you think will get along with Lotor, then keep the new cat separate from Lotor for a few days. Let the cats recognize that their is another in house. When they finally meet, the cats will engage in their own relationship. One cat may want to assert dominance, which might upset you, especially if the one dominated is Lotor. After all, your first loyalty has been with this first cat, not the new one. But your new cats have to work it out in regards to food, litter box and space. They will create rules with each other. I hope this helps.

Paul.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would go a little further and say that introducing kittens is incredibly simple and they almost always become actual friends. The odds gradually go down, and sometimes around 2 years of age, problems start to become noticeably more likely. While most issues are fixable, the odds of actual friendship do go down and you may end up with just toleration.

...so if you KNOW you want another kitten and your current kitten has acclimated and is no longer scared of you and hiding, don't wait, just do it at a convenient time. If you have a reason to wait, try to do it in the next few months, and certainly within the next year to keep great chances of them ending up friends.

Pjg8r

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Are you having a very busy holiday (travel, out of town guests, etc)? If not, and you have extra time at home to spend with your current kitten and the new one, this might be a good time. I agree that introducing two kittens to each other usually goes very smoothly.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Alexus

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you all for your answers! :rbheart:

I will discuss this with my family and see how much time I'll be spending away over the holidays (though I am sure it won't be more than a few hours each day) and also discuss it with my dad if I can bribe him to drive me to pick up a new kitten. And I'll check how fast I can organise everything the new kitten would need (litter box, a couple new dishes etc). And of course check if I can afford a second cat this soon.

I've always planned on getting a second cat before mine hits the 7-month mark the latest. So this is sooner thank expected, but I'd be happy to give a shelter kitten a new home :blush:

PS: thank you for not judging me for only having one cat atm :)

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
PS: thank you for not judging me for only having one cat atm :)
I think this is a very European thing :) I didn’t know any shelter or rescue back in Europe that would adopt out only one small kitten. Don’t take it personally if people are critical of taking in only one kitten, as those who “judge” have kittens wellbeing in mind more than anything else. Kittens do best in kittens company and by adopting two, you minimize the risk of a single kitten having some behavioral issues towards humans. So it isn’t just to complicate things for humans, there’s strong reasoning for this and care about kittens emotional development. I’m convinced that once you’ll see your two kittens interacting with each other, you will see exactly where these recommendations are coming from. I’m sorry if this comment come across as judgy as it’s not my intention at all.

Introducing two kittens to each other is the easiest cats’ introduction ever so I’m pretty sure it will go smoothly. You’d still need to start with separation etc but most likely it will only take several days before they play with each other. It took two days in my personal case.

And yeah, I also remember that most European shelters will freeze adoptions in the Christmas season to avoid commotion for kittens/puppies and giving kittens as gifts. But if you’ll be home most of the time and won’t have crowd over in your place, I see no reason why not getting a furry friend now.
Best of luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Alexus

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Lots of us, me included, only have 1 cat, so no worries. 🤗

BTW, just noticed your avatar pic. That's a pawsitively adorable kitten. :catlove:
Thank you! He's such a handsome boy, I can't wait to see what he looks like when he's a grown man <3

I think this is a very European thing :) I didn’t know any shelter or rescue back in Europe that would adopt out only one small kitten. Don’t take it personally if people are critical of taking in only one kitten, as those who “judge” have kittens wellbeing in mind more than anything else. Kittens do best in kittens company and by adopting two, you minimize the risk of a single kitten having some behavioral issues towards humans. So it isn’t just to complicate things for humans, there’s strong reasoning for this and care about kittens emotional development. I’m convinced that once you’ll see your two kittens interacting with each other, you will see exactly where these recommendations are coming from. I’m sorry if this comment come across as judgy as it’s not my intention at all.

Introducing two kittens to each other is the easiest cats’ introduction ever so I’m pretty sure it will go smoothly. You’d still need to start with separation etc but most likely it will only take several days before they play with each other. It took two days in my personal case.

And yeah, I also remember that most European shelters will freeze adoptions in the Christmas season to avoid commotion for kittens/puppies and giving kittens as gifts. But if you’ll be home most of the time and won’t have crowd over in your place, I see no reason why not getting a furry friend now.
Best of luck!
I understand my friends' worries and reasoning, I DO want to get a second cat, I never said I wouldn't. But their words. They were harmful on purpose, downright gleeful they were when I said I had not yet received my landlord's permission, hoping I wouldn't get a cat after all. At times they even had me doubt myself. Miserable some days.
And that is not the purpose of friends .... but that's not the topic of this thread.

Your comment is fine! :3

If it doesn't work out with the kitten I have in mind (because yes, you are right, most shelters in Germany stop handing out kittens by mid December til the beginning of January), I will keep looking, hopefully finding a friend for my little Lotor soon <3

lucicat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We adopted one kitten in August and realized right away (Like you) that having a second kitten would be beneficial for all! We waited till October and then adopted a second. It’s been the best!!!! They are best friends now. 💕. I was advised to get a second before the first kitten turned a year old so they’d gave a better chance to bond and play together as kittens.
My suggestion is to add another as soon as you are able!

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think you did it right it wouldn't be good to bring a second kitten into the house until you were ready. So well done you. I have one cat at the moment. Congratulations on your fur baby and enjoy the two kitten's when you add another.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I may be privately slightly judgy about friends that have very fat cats (sorry!), but it never even occurred to me to be judgy about someone having only one. Cats are not super social by nature, and adapt pretty well to being an only cat. Maybe they play a little less and are a little less active, but they seem plenty happy.

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sheesh, Europeans. They have nothing else to worry about?
I’d say kittens wellbeing is important enough to worry about, isn’t it?
The “judgement” is never intended towards people that want only one adult cat, but one kitten. You can easily adopt one adult cat in all European shelters. But not kitten. You can adopt one as a company to another young or playful cat. Most of the kittens are separated from their family too early, without any chance to develop the way they would with another cats/kittens company, so adopting two of them at least give some chance they develop the way they should. People can’t replace their family. The irony is that most people complain about some behavior that single kittens often develop. And they often bring them back to the rescue.
And even in the US, in my current city, Seattle, I think most shelters I dealt with so far would not adopt out one kitten either.
Single-Kitten Syndrome - MEOW Cat Rescue

Delayed weaning reduces behavioural problems in catsl
So yeah, it’s really isn’t about making people feel bad, but kittens healthy and happy. If someone can’t adopt two kittens, they are always given a chance to adopt an adult cat (or older kittens under 1 yo). Wellbeing of the animal is more important than human’s choice, it seems. I guess it’s the same with other aspect of owning a cat, like spaying/neutering - it’s not treated as a matter of personal choice but a necessity to control cat population.