Best Solutions For Kitty Frequently Under Foot In Kitchen

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Swing doors are dangerous. My grandmother's cat got caught in one when she misjudged her timing. I was a child, I don't know how they got her free, the door had closed with her between it and the jam, but they did. Grandmother installed a sliding bolt so she could secure the 'no one wants to hear a lady say it door' at all times.

kissthisangel

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Swing doors are dangerous. My grandmother's cat got caught in one when she misjudged her timing. I was a child, I don't know how they got her free, the door had closed with her between it and the jam, but they did. Grandmother installed a sliding bolt so she could secure the 'no one wants to hear a lady say it door' at all times.
hmm, maybe I have described this incorrectly it opens out one way with a handle to open it, I couldn't think of any way to describe it other than swing because it has hinges on one side and hence swings out the other way? like a front door but solid? I think I maybe tired. Send help (or sleep).

kissthisangel

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
OK so it turns out swing doors are typically double doors that are hinged to swing both "in and out" like in a hospital or a kitchen in a restaurant. Apologies. We just have a normal hinged door with a handle NOT a set of swing doors. I guess the description I was looking for was "hinged door".

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
right oh, but using hinged door instead of just door would have confused me, because I'm easily confused. Still glad you don't have one of those swinging doors. I've got no idea why anyone put them in ordinary houses. My mother had one too and she insisted everyone open it very very very slowly.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rawlins02

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I very much like the idea of hiding kibble around the house. I've been alternating rooms. Lexi clearly likes the hunt. Focus is very high. Tail straight up when walking near me. I also like the idea of limiting time in kitchen. Not inclined to install any doors. I've been giving her a time out in another room when I'm preparing food. If she comes in there at other times, I just ignore her. Or break out the toothbrush and toothpaste for our daily brushing. That was my idea several weeks ago. May have read that somewhere, so not all credit mine on that one. I really feel that these methods go a long way toward helping her to be happy and content.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat loved to play with his treat ball. It got him to play and run around batting it all over the place and every once and a while a piece of kibble would fall out of it, so he would get rewarded by playing. We also only put kibble in it, a different flavor so he would think it's a treat, that way we were not over feeding him treats. I'm not sure how your house is set up and if it would work to keep him out of the kitchen, but this is just another "work for his food idea" :D for you.
Just pick it up and put it away when you don't need your kitty to be distracted (or over fed)

Suru

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I tripped over mine a few times, after which he learned that walking too close to my legs when I’m moving is dangerous and kept a safe distance. He doesn’t do the kitty weave anymore, but he still paws up my leg at meal prep times, i just shake him off and ignore him - we’re still working on that...

rawlins02

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat loved to play with his treat ball.
<snip>

Yes I've wanted to get her a treat ball. Will try this one. Please let me know which one you have.
PetSafe SlimCat Interactive Cat Feeder

rawlins02

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I tripped over mine a few times, after which he learned that walking too close to my legs when I’m moving is dangerous and kept a safe distance. He doesn’t do the kitty weave anymore, but he still paws up my leg at meal prep times, i just shake him off and ignore him - we’re still working on that...
I still do the kitty shuffle and rarely step in a way that I'd trip over her. That's because every so often I won't close a door fully, and she'll then appear in the kitchen. I've just come to expect it. The kitty weave is cute. But I have been putting her away for a time out at nearly every meal. Really great that she now will walk away from the kitchen if I extend my hands to pick her up and say "come here". She's become conditioned to know that she's not entirely welcome in the kitchen at will. Training works! LOL

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Please let me know which one you have.
I'm so sorry but I have know idea of the name brand of it anymore.
It is a green transparent plastic ball. It is about 3 inches in diameter. On one end is the twist off cap to put the food in. It fits flush with the ball, there are no protrusions. On the other side, half of the ball "twists"???, so you can adjust the hole sizes to accommodate different sizes of food or treats.
It works well, so if you can't get the same one,(cuz I just don't know which one I have so I can't tell you:doh2:), I'm sure something similar would do just fine.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mp faster way to get a cat to leave than to extend your hands and say, "Oh, sweet, itty bitty kitty, cuddly kitty." It's like magic.

rawlins02

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Mp faster way to get a cat to leave than to extend your hands and say, "Oh, sweet, itty bitty kitty, cuddly kitty." It's like magic.
Not sure I understand. Praise will make her run away?

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Attempting to cuddle the kitty will make her run away. joke, but fairly true.

Suru

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Attempting to cuddle the kitty will make her run away. joke, but fairly true.
Sadly that won't work on mine, he doesn't care. He doesn't enjoy or hate cuddling, he just takes it and waits for cuddle session to be over and done with. And if it's dinner time, he gives you this expression that I can only interpret as, "Okay, stop cuddling me and get back to making my food human".

kissthisangel

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Jem Jem is it this ?

We tried the dreamies mice toys for ours which you can find here .

It was ok, until they realized that if they batted it hard enough it would just pop open and all the treats would go everywhere. Also, smaller treats like the RSPCA hairball treats just slid out easily.

What we do now is actually make puzzle feeders similar to this one which is easy peasy to make, if you want to make something this pretty then you can print paw outlines out and use them as templates to cut the holes with a craft knife or Stanley knife (carefully!!!!). But the cats don't care how this thing looks so cutting smaller sized holes will make the game last longer. Toys in this box also work well. The box will get dirty fairly quickly if you use any moist treats which is why I prefer to use cat jerky and not fresh chicken or tuna flakes in these boxes. Kibble also works a treat.

Etarre

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Juniper gets fed right when we do and was also developing a habit of making little forays into the kitchen when I was cooking. We did two things to discourage her.

First, we bought one of these corner groomers, which she loves, and prefers to rubbing up against our legs.

Second, we moved a dining chair into the entryway to give her a perch where she can see what's going on in the kitchen without being in the way. She's really taken to it, and uses it almost like a second cat tree. Being higher up off the ground seems preferable to being right in the center of the action to her.

rawlins02

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Juniper gets fed right when we do and was also developing a habit of making little forays into the kitchen when I was cooking. We did two things to discourage her.

First, we bought one of these corner groomers, which she loves, and prefers to rubbing up against our legs.

Second, we moved a dining chair into the entryway to give her a perch where she can see what's going on in the kitchen without being in the way. She's really taken to it, and uses it almost like a second cat tree. Being higher up off the ground seems preferable to being right in the center of the action to her.
Great suggestions. But Lexi likes nothing better than rubbing against me when in the kitchen. I'm mostly following Vet's suggestion to place her in another room when I need to be in there.