Best Shampoo for a Devon Rex?

girlsetsfiyah

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi all! It's been a while since I've posted (busy busy busy!). If anyone read my rainbow bridge post a while back, we lost our one cat Spliff to HCM. We then adopted a big old tom who has food allergies, and we're now about to adopt a 9 year old devon rex from a home that has to give her up due to allergies! We're very excited and can't wait to have her join our family!

My question is: what is a good shampoo to use for bathing her? There's so many out there, and I'm really not sure which to use? I've heard that baby shampoo is good, and also pet wipes for inbetween baths. Any thoughts on this? Any one with rex experience that I can bother with questions that may come up?

We've never had a pure bred before, and with the clinic I work at, we don't have a single rex that comes in, so my experience is lacking! Any help would be great!

I'll post some pics of her once she joins us in a few weeks! We went to meet her, and she's an absolute sweetheart, and curled up in my lap right away! I'm also happy to be taking in another "senior" kitty!

Thanks for any care advice you all can provide!

motoko9

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
You might want to try the Breeder's Forum. I think Golden Kitty bred Cornish Rexes, not Devons, but I bet she could recommend a shampoo! Best of luck with your new arrival!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had Cornish Rex (show cats) and they were always washed in Pantane or Nexxus shampoos. Never with cat shampoos. I would also use a little bit of Nexxus Conditioner for wavy hair.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

girlsetsfiyah

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the replies! I actually use the Nexxus shampoo/ conditioner, I'll have to give that a try! Thanks!

And thanks for the good wishes, we'll be picking her up on Monday! We have her room all set up for her. I'm so happy to have another woman in the house to relate to! Farrrr to much testosterone here! LOL

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I now own an Ocicat but he gets washed in special Silk cat shampoo. Are you getting your Devon as a pet or for show?

motoko9

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GirlSetsFiyah

I'm so happy to have another woman in the house to relate to! Farrrr to much testosterone here! LOL
That is too funny. I live with a bunch of boys as well.

You will have to post pictures when you get a chance; I have seen Devons at shows in my area, and they are very interesting-looking cats!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

girlsetsfiyah

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The devon I'm getting is actually an adoption/ rescue (not from a bad situation, just desperately seeking a home due to childrens allergies), she's 9 years old. No one would take her because of her "interesting" look, and I've always wanted a devon or sphynx. And I like the fact that she's a calm, older girl with a very loving personality, and she cuddled right up to my fiance and I right away. She's adorable...looks like a little pixie!
She looks pretty nude for a devon (from one's I've seen), and has a calico-type pattern to her with gorgeous blue eyes!

I'm just very nervous about her care, although she doesn't really have any special needs health wise, I just worry about the grooming, her getting cold, etc! The people I'm adopting her from gave me all the basics, and I can call them any time for advice (we'll be keeping in touch), but I'm a huge worrywart!

She'll be just a pet though, not for show, as she's spayed and older, and I'm far to intimidated to show! Plus I don't have enough time to do it! Maybe one day in the future though!

And I'll definately post some pics once she settles in, I hope her and the boys get along alright, but I'm sure they'll be fine. Jubbs loves other cats, and Laz pretty much ignores them. We'll do the usual intro technique, and I'm sure all will work out!

Thanks again for your help!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
With blue eyes, she must be a tortie point and white. Devons tend to have more coat problems then Cornish. Hopefully her coat will come back in. She sounds so cute tho. Can't wait for pics.

patchkitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
2 years on . Are you still using the same products. Ive got 2 little devon boys

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
2 years on . Are you still using the same products. Ive got 2 little devon boys
Welcome to TCS :wavey:
If you have questions about your devons you might want to start your own thread. Unfortunately, most of the members in this thread are not currently active and won't see your post.