Best Scratching Post

mrsmcfadden

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey all! Can anyone tell me the best scratching post? My cats scratch vertical and horizontal. Suggestions please! And advice on how to train cats on a scratching post. Thanks in advance. :)

Last edited:

harleydiva

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My guys use their carpeted tree and tower for vertical scratching.  For horizontal...I really like this one:

http://www.brawnycat.com/order-sleeky-lounge-xl-new/      

It is basically the refill for the really expensive one....really durable, much tighter, denser cardboard, and the cats love to just lay on it.  It's significantly wider than anything else I've seen.....most are only 9-10" wide.

They also liked this one....but it didn't last a long time. 

The first one cost twice as much, but based on results so far, as well as quality, I'd guess it will last a LOT longer.  They've had it for a few weeks now, and it still looks almost new (not because they haven't used it).

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

mrsmcfadden

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have something similar and mine haven't gotten the idea that its a scratching post. They think its a lounger!
I think your cat is beautiful. Is that a flame point ragdoll?

mrsmcfadden

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks Willowy. That exactly what I'm looking for. And Harleydiva that is one handsome boy! I've always wanted a Himalayan. Btw, I hoped I posted in the right place. :) Still new.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I bought the same one.  Both of my cats ignored it for the first couple of weeks, being horizontal scratchers.  However, I suddenly got the idea that perhaps they didn't like the location.  So I moved it.

Lo and behold, at least one of them is using it.  Our older one adores it.  It's very sturdy, and taller than most so he can get a good stretch out of it too.

I also got it on sale.  Funny thing was I bought 2 of them so they wouldn't fight over them, but I wound up donating the other one to the cat rescue we adopted our 2nd kitty from instead.

hersheys mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hey all! Can anyone tell me the best scratching post? My cats scratch vertical and horizontal. Suggestions please! And advice on how to train cats on a scratching post. Thanks in advance.
That would depend on your cat. It is good that your baby scratches both vertical and horizontal, because that makes your options that much greater. However, not all cats like the same material to scratch. My Burmese loves the round, cardboard scratchers inside the roll-the-ball toy, and loves to tear her sisal rope to shreds. The cardboard is horizontal on the floor, the sisal in on several poles. My Tortie doesn't use anything to scratch (not even the furniture!). Her thing is biting into the lambswool liner in her bed and kneading the lambswool pillow in it. While I have cardboard, carpet (which she pulls apart with her teeth), emeryboard, sisal and every other material you can find, she just doesn't scratch. Back to your question. I have had cats that would only use one material (my late Burmese would only use cardboard), and cats that would use several. I have found you have to experiment and see which one they like the best. Given the correct scratcher, they will leave your furniture alone. As for training them, I found showing them how to use the scratcher (running your nails over the surface of the scratcher while they watch) totally useless. It works for some cats, but I have never had any success with it. I just put several out and whichever one they go to and start ripping into is generally the one they will stay with. You can try luring them to a scratcher with some catnip (especially good for the cardboard ones) to get them to try it out, however, if they don't like it they will leave it alone after the catnip wears off. I am not sure if this is true or not, but I have heard that taking the cat to the scratcher and rubbing their feet on it will not work. Some of the veterans on this list can help you out on the training thing better than I can. Like I said, I just gave them one of each and they made their own choice. Good luck!

Lei Ann

le chat fou

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I bought a Kong scratching post for now 8 months old Mylo because he was having a go at our couch. I bought mine at PetSmart. He had so much fun with the ball that he didn't realize it was a scratching post until a few days later:

We had had it for a few months now and its still holding up. The feather is attached very well and the ball is permanently stuck on the base. Highly recommended. 

Our cat tree also has a scratching post very similar to this one. He uses that one a lot too. I haven't looked into purchasing a horizontal one, for some reason it never crossed my mind 

Good luck on your search! 

chloespriestess

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat has two: a homemade one about 32" tall and one that goes from floor to ceiling that has perches. She used to have a cardboard one that sits on the floor.

She scratches the short tree most. She either stretches as far as she can reach or pulls away as far as she can with her stance low. She climbs the other one and sometimes scratches on it. I think she likes the texture of the carpet on one over the other; the short one (the one she uses most) has Berber style carpet all around and it stands on a wide base. It also has a small perch on top. On good days, she climbs to it. (She can't jump that high.) It is very secure and do not wobble at all. My friend made it for me. The other one, I bought on Internet; It has short pile, kind of fuzzy (inexpensive) kind of carpet all around.

She used to use the cardboard one as a bed and I'd see her scratching it when she got up from her naps.

The best way to get your cat to use it is to make it as attractive to your cat as possible, meaning it has to be sturdy, has good texture, accessible and has what the cat is looking for in scratch post. They like to stretch when they wake up, so you can put his bed near the post. My cat likes towels so I just placed an old towel on the base so she would take a nap there. Some cats, like mine, like to stretch up as they scratch, others may seek different features. Feline behavior expert Pam Johnson-Bennett said, if you want your cat to use the scratch post, you must use it yourself.

Really. You have to go up to it and start scratching it "like you are having a grand ol' time". I've actually done this when I first got the shorter post. It seemed to have worked..

Another way is to play with your cat, using an inter-active toy like Da Bird, on and around the post; if you drag these toys on the carpeted surface, his natural instinct is to try to grab it, and he will dig his claws in; he will think, "Hmm. That felt good!"

Good-Luck!

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I just wanted to add that the one I got at Drs. Foster and Smith is now being used by our other cat.  Yesterday, she suddenly decided it was A-OK and went at it with a vengeance, and hasn't stopped lol.

mrsmcfadden

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks y'all. I ordered from drs. Foster and smith also. Ill have it tomorrow. Hoping I have the same luck as yall! :)

Last edited: