Best scratching deterrant spray? I want to deter my 4m/o kitten from scratching furniture

bluecapps

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So i want to spray it on all furniture around the house.

Something that i could find at walmart or petsmart or petvalu please

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Do you have cat scratchers and furniture for your cat to use? If not, you should get one or two so your cat has something to scratch her claws on instead of using your funiture. ats do have preferences on what they like to scratch so try different things: cardboard scartchers, vertical scratchers, sisal, carpet, etc.

Here's an article on how to deter your cat from scratching inappropriate things: http://www.thecatsite.com/a/problem-scratching-and-how-to-stop-it

I know pet store sell various "no scratch" deterrants/repllents. Petsmart's web site lists this one. There are also doubel sided stcky things you can palce on furniture to deter scratching.

catwithmycoffee

Six Cats Crazy Cat Parents
Young Cat
Purraise
How we deterred our kitten when we first got her was getting a small scratching post and rubbing catnip into it to attract her (Bazinga was 6 months old at the time). I also made a scratching post by taking a 4-foot length of construction grade 2x4 and wrapping it with sisal rope before attaching it to my bookcase. She went crazy for that thing and quickly lost interest in sharpening her claws on our bedroom door frame. Still have both those scratching posts to this day; even my front-declawed kids love it!

Edited to add: I have never had any luck with those store-bought deterrent sprays.

Last edited: