Best replacement carpet type/style/weave for a cat that likes to pull it up?

nbrazil

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My ancient carpet needs replacing. Despite the financial burden, it has reached the point that I have to do something, and the cats are encouraging this because they grab at the "loops" and pull it out, thereby destroying sections of it (particularly near doors).

Of course I will ask the professionals, but I figure the wisdom of the cat slaves here may also have good suggestions.

So, does anyone have a suggestion for the type/style/weave that would be cat resistant? (I am also considering laminate - but there are extra costs beyond the extra cost of the laminate itself. And leave us not forget the "cheap entertainment." Huh? When they chase each other at top speed, tails curled back, I doubt they would be able to manager cornering very well, LOL.)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nbrazil

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Leaning towards getting laminate instead - found a company with decent prices and highly recommended.

It would increase the amusement factor for awhile.... instead of hearing thumpidy, thumpidity, zoom... it would be paddy, paddy, paddy, paddy, boom (as they try to round the corners).

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
I just got new carpets and decided against loop, since they pull a bit and it starts a whole process. I ended up with an eco carpet (only available in Australia, but the type originated in the States - made from corn sugars and quite indestructible and yet really soft and comfy).

But if I didn't actually need carpet, I'd go with the laminate... much more hygienic and easy care.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Laminate is perfect in households with pets, IMO. We took out our carpets over 20 years ago and have never regretted it. The key is to get the best quality you can afford so that it holds up a couple of decades.