Best recipe for cat with PKD

Meg142!

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello all! I have several threads about my poor kitty and how we ended up finding out she has PKD. She is still currently hospitalized but I have been searching for every possible thing I can do to help stabilize her health and keep her happy and healthy for as long as possible! I would have to put her on a kidney specific diet (low phosphorus and low sodium) which is $39 for 12 cans 😳 I calculated everything out as well as weighed the pros and cons, and have decided that giving her a raw diet is the best thing I can do for her at this point.

However, after doing several hours of research I have found that she can't have anything with bones, she can only have something like egg shells for calcium, as bones are high in phosphorus. I'm also finding that a lot of meat people suggest is best for cats, like rabbit, chicken, and quail, are all described as being " a good source of phosphorus" which as I stated above, she cannot have a lot of. I am also reading that beef is harder to digest and isn't as bioavailable as smaller game such as poultry and rabbits. So I'm kind of at a loss! I can't feed her something high in phosphorus but I also can't feed her something she isn't getting everything she needs from.

If anyone also has a cat with kidney disease and feeds raw, please share your recipe! I'd love to get her started on this ASAP (while still slowly transitioning her onto a new food of course) thanks in advance!

dhammagirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi
TCFeline has a premix supplement for kitties that need a low phosphorus diet due to kidney disease. I haven’t personally needed it for any of my cats, but you might check it out.
:goodluck: